Chick "panting"....?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by celticmomma, Mar 31, 2012.

1. celticmomma

celticmomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Western MA
    I just got a 6 new baby chick aprox. 2 wks old. Other than TSC labeling them "pullets & red pullets" I have no idea what bread they are. I got them maybe 4 hrs ago. They are in their brooder, with everything set up. There is room to get away from the light if needed. But one of the "normal" (yellowish) pullets, will sit right under the light and pant like a puppy. Ive seen her drink, so it can't be that she is thirsty. Is this normal? She is the only one I have seen do it.

2. maybe shes a cornish X? Cornish X will do that (i dunno why, maybe they arent smart or lazy?) put her under some where cool and see if she runs back to the light or stays there

hope she feels better

3. celticmomma

Mar 30, 2012
    Western MA
    Thank you, I took her out for about a half hour and held her. She seems to be doing fine now. Hoping it was just a little anxiety from being in a new environment.
    The one that was panting was the yellow one that is sort of laying down in front. Not sure if you know what breed she is.
    [​IMG]

4. KLRA

KLRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    She might have been stressed and weak from the trip. I had a chick in my last hatch do the same thing and I had to pick it up every once in awhile to move it to the opposite side of the brooder for the first day. Don't know why some of them do that. Hopefully that's all it was! Cute fuzzy butts :)

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Does she have a space in the brooder that is not covered by the light? Is she drinking normally?

6. celticmomma

Mar 30, 2012
    Western MA
    She appears to be drinking normally. There is room for all of them to be outside the light if they wish. I haven't seen her panting since I held her for a bit. So I'm thinking it was anxiety. I've been checking her every hour or so.

7. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    With the black spots on the yellow chicks I am wondering if they are California Whites. I have not raised these in the past but I have been looking a pictures of them. And I saw some at a feed store a couple of weeks ago. I am hoping to get 2 or 3 of them this Friday if the feedstore does not sell out before I get there on Fri afternoon. They are arriving on Fri morning but I won't be able to get there until late afternoon.

8. celticmomma

Mar 30, 2012
    Western MA
    TSC didn't tell me what they were. I looked up some pictures of California Whites, you may be right. I'll probably have a better idea (maybe) when they get their feathers. I'm a first time chicken momma so I don't know too much about the breeds other than what I'm told, and what research I've done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by