1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick pasty vent

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coyote medows, Mar 16, 2016.

1. coyote medows

coyote medows New Egg

Aug 16, 2014
    Wenatchee
    My sister had asked my about her chicks vent area being pasty. She had lost one already due to this. She is giving chick medicated food , electrolytes . The only thing I could think of was bag balm on the chicks vent area to keep the poop from sticking. Does anyone have any other suggestions ? She works so she is only able to care for chicks morning and night. Thank you

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I'm a mean chickie mama, but when I've had pasty butt, I don't patiently soak it off...I rip it off (gently to avoid ripping the skin) which takes the down with it, give the skin a quick squirt of vetericyn, and I now apply a liitle olive oil because it is less sticky than the vaseline I had been using. Removing the down leaves less for the poo to stick to.

Additional probiotics are also nice when trying to resolve PB, although if it is due to being too hot/cold, you have to fix that first.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I hold their yucky butts under the warm, running faucet (which they seem to be okay with, they close their little eyes and make that happy trilling sound). The water works the poop off. Then I pat dry with a paper towel and apply a little coconut oil to keep the poop from sticking again :)

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Sounds good!

5. coyote medows

coyote medows New Egg

Aug 16, 2014
    Wenatchee

6. coyote medows

coyote medows New Egg

Aug 16, 2014
    Wenatchee
    Bein hot or cold makes sense but only one has pasty butt. One is a regular chicken chick and the other is a silky chick. I will let her know. Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by