Chick Pecked in the head by older hen...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JenW, Nov 28, 2012.

1. JenW

JenW Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2012
    Deer Park, TX
    One of my 4 week old naked neck chicks were attacked by my older hen. She has a bruise on the back of her head & cannot stand up for very long. It's like she can't balance. I don't see any injuries on her leg, just her head. Hoping its not neurological & she will get better. I've separated her from the rest of the flock & am keeping her warm. She seems to still be alert but is trembling. Should I give it a few days or just put her out of her misery? I don't wanna do that if I don't need to but I also don't want to watch her suffer! Any help is appreciated!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    I would give her few days. Feed and water her. I have had them come out of that before.

3. JenW

JenW Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2012
    Deer Park, TX
    Ok I'll try that, she is drinking...about to find out if she will still eat. Thank you!

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    She is probably in shock at the moment - drinking is a good sign and hopefully she will eat soon, she needs time before you make a decision about her future.... hopefully she will be back to normal in no time!

Good luck!

Suzie

5. JenW

JenW Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2012
    Deer Park, TX
    I am happy to report she is eating & drinking. Balance is still an issue but she is in a "hospital" kennel recovering. Hopefully she will get herself balanced out & be able to go back with her sisters soon. They've been out with the flock for about a week & this is the first incident. They usually scatter when a big hen comes close but I guess she wasn't fast enough. Thanks! Don't know what I'd do without BYC! :).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by