Chick pecked right thru skin?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CatsCrazyCoop, Sep 12, 2011.

1. CatsCrazyCoop

CatsCrazyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Hi all.

I have a 4 week old silkie... she was pecked by the older girls (12 week old Standards) on the back of her neck, that the skin has a hole in it. A decent sized one and the whole back of her neck was covered in blood. I am going to try and get a pic.

Do I need to do anything other than quarantine her? I cleaned the wound with some warm water.. but I don't know what else to do.
    This is the second time she was pecked!!

HELP!

Here is a pic.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    It almost looks like a rooster did that. Yes, just keep her seperate and make sure the wound stays clean. ITs not too serious, she's recover soon. [​IMG]

3. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    put some NEOSPORIN on it, thats what i put on my chicks and they are fine

4. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    When you put her back in they more than likely are going to do it to her again since she'll be lowest on the pecking order and every time she's taken out, that reinforces that. You can either put Blu-Kote or Rooster Booster's Pick No More on the place where they usually peck and it will hopefully deter them. Is there not a chick or two that doesn't pick on her that's close to her size that you could also take out with her so they can be introduced back together and they may not gang up on just the one??

5. CatsCrazyCoop

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    A roo? OH NO! I am supposed to have all pullets!
    I am pretty sure Attliah, my Jersey Giant is the pecker.
    How do I know if she is a Roo? She is only 3 months old... I thought you can't tell til 4.

6. CatsCrazyCoop

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Quote:Actually, yes. I have 4 silkies (Sophie - pecked, Sarah, Ethel and Gertie) and a EE Bantam (Mary Magdaline) and a silver laced wyandotte (no name yet) in that group.
    Should I remove all the silkies?
    Then, I am just slightly worried about the silver laced & Mary Magdaline (EE Bantam) being outnumbered...

7. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    pluck feathers around it, keep clean, anti-biotic ointment and I found waterproof bandaids work REALLY well on chickens, they are thin and move with their skin and they can't peck the ends of it to get it off! Keep it clean and covered! Good luck! I just did bumblefoot surgery on 2 of my hens last night and am worried about the holes in their feet now!!!! Harder to keep their feet clean, than a hole in the neck! Good luck!

8. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    CatsCrazyCoop - Maybe pull one of the bigger chicks to be her friend [​IMG]. I wouldn't pull all the silkies or they'll have even more trouble when you put them back.

Hurstshens- When we used to have the vet or farrier dig abscesses out of horse hooves we would pack gauze covered with antibiotic ointment or icthammol ointment in it and wrap with vetrap til the holes started filling in. That would also work on your chicken's feet too, just make sure their bedding is dry and it doesn't get wet while wrapped. I'd also pad under it with gauze so that the vetrap doesn't slip and bind too tightly. Pick a not too bright color of vetwrap so they don't pick at it too.

9. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Thanks! Yeah, Their coop is nice and dry, but they free range in the backyard all day and dig in the dirt/mud/morning dew/water from sprinklers the night before, and water when my dogs decide it's funny to drink out of the chicken waterers and tip them over! My hens will all come over and splash in the flowing water! LOL! So their feet get wet..... I just figured the waterproof bandaids under would help and they have! I do have the vet wrap and cotton over the bandaids to help keep the bandaids clean! LOL! I just knew that only the vet wrap wouldn't keep all the water and dirt out...
    I also got the brown/flesh colored vet tape and that has not been a problem with them or the others! Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  10. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Nexcare makes waterproof blister pads as well, those would work for the water proofing part on any larger areas that bandaids didn't cover. I've also seen some that come pre medicated with neosporin. [​IMG]
    Your chickens sound like mine..they find any water or mud they can and play in it! Just like having feathered kids, LOL!
    The other day mine went out in the rain...then came in and dusted off in the pan of DE...I had chickens that looked like I tried to flour them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by