Chick pecking newly hatched!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alltheprettychickens, May 18, 2009.

1. alltheprettychickens

alltheprettychickens New Egg

May 18, 2009
    IS this ok?? The one doing the pecking hatched this morn and this one just hatched and is still really wobbly and wet. Do you think the chick will actually hurt the other? The new one does react and cheap back and move when it happens, but it's hard to watch since she just worked so hard to get here!!!

2. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    AWWWWWW! Poor newbie. I had a few peckers in my last hatch and everybody was ok. Everybody says to let the hatch finish before you open up the bator. (If it was me and the 1st hatched is dry you may wanta put him in the brooder)

3. alltheprettychickens

alltheprettychickens New Egg

May 18, 2009
    Thanks!
    I actually walked away to resist temptation, took a shower and came back to find that they are doing just fine. I think its was some curiosity pecks [​IMG]
    Now they're just snugglin'
    up with the rest of the eggs![​IMG]

4. Chik-N-Crazy

Chik-N-Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Currie, NC
    I would be really careful leaving them in there too long. I know the rules say it's ok, but I learned after I followed that and didn't take mine out quickly. The ones that were drying ended up pecking and killing a new hatched one. (more or less eating it) As soon as it came out of the shell they started at it's belly. Now as soon as they are dry, sometimes even close to dry but not "fluffed" out they go! It only happened that one hatch, they are all nice normal birds now so it wasn't like they were "mean or aggressive" maybe just a little too nosey! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by