Chick Pecking Order Already?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenbiceps, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Chickenbiceps

Chickenbiceps Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2013
    Hey All,

well I finally got 4 chicks over the weekend this last Saturday after a long summer of finishing up the coop: 1 RIR "Mimi", 1 Wyandote "Lila", 1 Black Austrolorp "Momo" and 1 Dominique "Bubbles". I wanted a rainbow of chicks basically because while we will be eating lots of egg's, we wanted them as a getting back to nature farming thing as well as kind of a pet thing, and well we wanted our 16 month daughter to grow up with this whole experience. Our daughter also was given naming rights hence some very cute yet simple names that she can actually currently say.

To my question. The chicks are about 1 week old now, the RIR aprox. 1 week older because that's what they had. The RIR is getting the cold shoulder as she's not invited to the sleep altogether party. The behavior started almost right away. Everyone forms a cute little sleeping bundle of baby chick except the RIR. Also, not sure if it's relevant but the RIR does seem to be the most docile, meaning that is that she doesn't mind us picking her up at all whereas the others are still a bit skittish. Does pecking order occur this early on or could it be just getting used to the new environment? Now please bear in mind, this is my first venture into all things chicken, so I don't know what I don't know. Thanks for any and all advice.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, the pecking order is arranged pretty early in chicks. I noticed my chicks asserting their power when they were 1 week old, at 3 weeks old it was easier to tell who was boss. I have one silkie who is a couple of months older than my new chicks, she follows the little flock around but is never very "warm" towards them, but she is the highest in ranking. At night when they go to roost she stays far away from the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by