1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Pecking other chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4chickens1girl, Sep 12, 2011.

1. 4chickens1girl

4chickens1girl New Egg

Sep 7, 2011
    So I have 4 baby chicks all about one and a half week old. My americana has lately been pecking at other chicks but not really pecking them but helping take off very lose baby feathers on all the other chicks, she also likes to take off any wood shavings they have on them. Im not quiet sure if this is common of if theres a way to prevent this. The americana also likes to peck the side of the clear plastic container they live in, and when all the other chicks eat she goes up and eats a little then pecks the plastic on the side of the food container. I don't know what to do if this is a problem or just to let it go.

But I also had another question... this same baby chick isn't eating as much as the other chicks are and her gullet is almost always very small (compared to other chicks) and I don't want her to die from starvation because I had two chicks die this way. So is there maybe a way to make her gullet bigger or make her eat more often?

Thanks everyone hope to solve these problems soon...

2. CLUCKER65

CLUCKER65 New Egg

Sep 7, 2011
    give them a toy to play with. like a christmas ball to peck on....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by