Chick Pecking?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sk8inChick(en), Mar 22, 2012.

1. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    So, today I stopped at the feed store and brought home two Light Brahma chicks, each about 2 days old. They seem to be in good health, so far so good.

One of the chicks is quite mellow, but the other likes to peck my hand when I hold her. I'm not sure if there's something I should do to make her stop, or if I should leave it alone. Does anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions as to what to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine did that at first and then they got used to me and don't do that any more. I think it's a normal thing for them to do. I didn't do anything to stop it. Only thing I did was take my rings off so it didn't draw attention to my hands. Only problem now with my new chicks is when I wear t-shirts they peck my tattoos on my arms. LOL

3. Sk8inChick(en)

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Okay, I feel better. LOL Thanks for the reply! :) I just want to hold those things all day! [​IMG] They are too cute!

4. 3LilBirds

Are they your first chickens? If it's not above 80 where you are don't hold them for too long. I discovered that the hard way because my Mumble had caught a cold from getting chilled for being held too much and then gave the cold to the other two. They are fine now but just be careful. I know it's hard not to want to hold them ALL the time. LOL

5. Sk8inChick(en)

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    The brooder is set up in the bathtub, and it's a pretty small bathroom, so it stays pretty warm in there. Does that still mean we shouldn't handle them too often?

And yes, they are my first chickens. I've hatched eggs a few times before, but never kept them beyond a week. :)

Thanks! [​IMG]

6. 3LilBirds

If it's warm in the bathroom it should be fine. How deep is the tub? At 2 weeks mine were able to jump/fly out of a anything below 18 inches. LOL Which surprised me quiet a bit when they flew up to my shoulder. [​IMG]

7. Sk8inChick(en)

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Oh my goodness! When we were driving them home in a cardboard box, one of them flapped its wings and actually left the ground momentarily. LOL They are only 3 days old!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by