Chick Pecks my Eyeballs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happima, Oct 15, 2011.

1. happima

happima Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Australorp keeps pecking my eyeballs when sitting on my shoulders. Is she just curious or is this a pecking order thing? She's usually quite calm and broody when she does this, not angry or aggressive. Just don't want to be naive if she's intentionally hurting me. And, yes, it does hurt!

2. scooby8863

scooby8863 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2011
    [​IMG] Mine sometimes do this too. Trust me it's ok they're just being curious, isnt that like the chickens life story [​IMG]

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:They are curious about shiney things. Don`t be a dummy and get your eye pecked hard........Pop

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    wear safety glasses around them.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Agreed don't be naive and think she won't do it because she will and when she does it won't be her fault. you let her on your shoulder and your putting your eyes within pecking distance. speaking from a person who only has one eye, you have no idea how much it stinks with limited sight. I just don't want to see you get hurt because you don't know any better or think it won't happen.

6. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    It may be cute and sweet to have a week old chick on your shoulder, but when they are a few months old and think that's where they are supposed to be, you are asking for trouble. A chicken or any bird allowed to perch on your shoulder is going to try to pick at your eyeballs, also at your earrings, moles on your neck or even shiny teeth. I value my eyes more than I value my chickens.

7. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Be careful! Have you ever seen a chicken tear into a watermelon or an apple? Yikes! [​IMG]

8. happima

Sep 14, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Now this why I love this forum. I don't need to learn everything through first hand experience. No more shoulder perching for the chicks without safety goggles. I haven't seen what chickens can do to a watermelon. I'm curious. My finicky chicks hardly touch the scraps I give them. Can I leave an apple in their coop today and see what happens?

9. happima

Sep 14, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Actually, I have an old watermelon as well...

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:X2 absolutely be careful. You only have 2 eyes and the beaks playfully or not can do a lot of damage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by