Chick peeped loud all night, then died! What happened?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ellbell19, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ellbell19

ellbell19 Out Of The Brooder

Our chick peeped very loudly all night. It stopped in the morning, (was still alive) and we left all day. When we got home that night around 9:00 PM, the chick was lying flat, face down, dead. We checked the temp. of the brooder and it was fine. The chick appeared to have some guts or something hanging out of his rear, but I didn't get a good look. It was getting kind of ripe:sick so we disposed of it ASAP, then cleaned the brooder well. This chick was only a few days old. What happened?[​IMG]:hit

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Was it alone or were other chicks present?

3. ellbell19

There were 9 other chicks. We had had to help this one out of his shell because the membrane had dried too much, and so we weren't sure that he would make it, but we aren't sure if that was why he died or if it was something else.

4. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Really loud peeping usually means there is a problem. constant soft cheeping is normal.

5. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    The loud peeping usually indicates distress. I find sometimes that when you help them from the shell, its already a done deal, nature has decided there was a problem. It's still a bummer though. The chick is attached to the inner egg with membranes that carry the blood and nutrients. Usually the ones near the tail are the last to separate during the hatching process. I have had a mallard or two "bleed out" while "helping" them. It was awful. The other issue might be that opening the incubator during hatching, dropped the humidity, and the late chick was unable to separate from the egg. Just speculating, but those are some my experiences.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  6. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    if chick already out of egg peeping real loud usually means to me they cannot poop. I check make sure no poop is dried on outside of chick in fur then usually they die.

To help baby out of egg i peel off egg shell only leave membrame use blow dryer to start drying then i get white sticky away from cords and careful not to break cords cause can bleed then i use WHITE thread and tie it in knot and cut thread then tie another knot little lower and tie it off and safety knot and cut cords. NO BLEEDING. and you helped chick out,. I give him drinks of sugar water if needed and put in incubator to dry

7. ellbell19

Thanks a bunch![​IMG][​IMG]

8. Wayne&Kim1963

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    You bet. It works
    I will even Kindle eggs and see if nose in end of air sac and pep them for them. Saves alot. But you end up with some alive should have died. and have to put them down. Crooked legs egg yolks out. so forth. You can get half egg yolks stay in push up in there holding up in there with something and dry with blow dryer. They stay up there then

9. ellbell19

We actually had to help out a few chicks. We had some problems with our incubator thatwe didn't know about, and tje chicks we helped wouldn't have made it if we hadn't helped. Two had crooked toes, three had a tiny bit of yolk out, and one is deformed. All in all it was a crazy hatch and I'm actually surprised that only one has died so far. We're hoping it stays that way. [​IMG]

10. Wayne&Kim1963

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    Cool, I always help them if they need it. I won't sit and let them die when I can save them. I am a Registered Nurse and is not my nature to do nothing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by