chick perching/roosting so young

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by playmeasong, May 6, 2008.

1. playmeasong

playmeasong Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    South Jersey
    Hi all,
    I'm the proud owners of 13 week old chicks (Ideal sent a bunch of males to keep my pullets warm!), and for fun, I put a 1.5"x.5"x3' piece of wood inside to see what they'd do, and most of them are perching on it, some slept on it today, and others are using it to hop and try to fly. Is there any reason why I can't keep it in from now on, or should I wait until at least 2 weeks? I don't want to damage their legs, but these buggers seem very strong and have been held a lot, so they're getting used to being picked up and put down. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. ArcticFox

ArcticFox Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    13 week old or 13 days old? I thought I read someplace that you can put a low perch in with the chicks at 2 weeks old?

3. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    The perch in my brooder is a bit high for my week old chicks. I didn't think they could use it yet, but today I found one of my RIR chicks on it. I think it was just a fluke. But I am a bit worried and may take the perch out for another week. Of course, if they can get on it, I guess they can get off of it.

4. BradyMSU

BradyMSU Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    Marshall, Michigan
    My chicks are 23 days old now and about half of them are roosting. I had a chick roosting on my fourth rung 48" off the floor at 13 days old.

5. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are going on 6 weeks and just started sleeping on the roosts in their coop. I thought that was early and it surprised me. Actually, my roo is still on the floor under the heat lamp. He's not as feathered as the girls. His sister sleeps with him, lol. She's his best friend. [​IMG]

6. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Mine are 3 1/2 weeks old. Some of them like to stay on the roost..other's do not. Hope it's okay for them to be up there..never entered my mind that it might not be okay. The roost is not very high and I don't think they stay up there for hours but they sure like it [​IMG]

7. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I have a banty cochin who hatched out 2 standard EEs. At 10 days old, they were let out to run with the other banties in the coop. That first night I found mom and the 2 chicks sleeping on the roost with dad and all their aunts. Mom had one under each wing. I have another pen with chicks that are 9 and 11 weeks old. These chicks were bator hatched. They still sleep on the floor all huddled together. They do play on the roost during the day but sleep on the floor at night.

8. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

My current batch of chicks is about 2 weeks old now. I have a 1 1/4 inch wooden rod in the brooder 1 to 2 inches above the litter that they like to perch on. From early on they perched on the feeders. Makes a mess. I don't know if they're too young or not or what problems early perching/roosting might cause.

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I put a perch in box with chicks from day one and they get right on it and start using it. Later as they are moved to hutches and finally the coop they always go for the roosts.

For a brooder for new hatchlings or day olds I use a large cardboard moving box. Take a wooden pants hanger and break off the wooden dowel and shove it diagonally through a corner of the box. The ends stick out of box but inside box, in corner, is a nice little perch for them to start using.

They're birds from birth and love to perch.

10. pookiethebear

pookiethebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    My RIRs are almost 2 weeks old and last night I went to 'tuck them in' for the night and they were all lined up perched on top of the feeder! It was so cute. Sorry there was no way I was going to get a pic of that. They come running when they hear me enter the room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by