Chick phlegm

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unamiz, Jan 29, 2012.

1. unamiz

unamiz New Egg

Jan 17, 2012
    My chick coughed out phlegm and kind of gasping for air. How do i help it cough uop all the phlegm?

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    Probably something stuck in its throat. Just spit balling here (excuse the pun) Is it continuous, been happening for days, just once. I am not sure I would think anything of it unless it is happening alot. A little gentle crop massage would not hurt anything and maybe a drop of olive oil down the throat. I would hesitate to interfer unless you think it is needed. The chick is trying to get out whatever for a reason. You could also offer soft food to make eating easier, just add water to the food and smash it up into the consistency of runny oatmeal.

My motto is first "Do no harm". Sometimes treatments are more hurtful than what is already happening.

Good luck

3. unamiz

unamiz New Egg

Jan 17, 2012
    Thanks eve.....i think its been like tat for a few days with the chick being quite inactive and spitting a few times and gasping for air when it is not sleepin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by