Chick pick-up on a bicycle? 3 mile walk of death?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GlenwoodFarm, Sep 3, 2009.

1. GlenwoodFarm

GlenwoodFarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Montclair, New Jersey
    So long story short, we just ordered 5 more chickens, and there is no car for me to drive to pick them up the week they are coming because the universe has a sick sense of humor. Anyways the post office is about 3 miles away, do any of you think walking with the chicks would kill them? it will be september 22-24th here in new jersey, so possibly a little chilly... Any suggestions? and no the order cannot be changed to a later date [​IMG]

2. robbdebbie

robbdebbie Professional Chicken Bather

Jun 18, 2009
    Madisonville, LA
    They should be fine. They would have been bounced around in trucks and maybe even planes while being shipped to you.

3. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I think they'll be fine. If it's chilly, bring an old towel to wrap the box in (leaving airspace of course).

Put the box up on your shoulder a minute while you walk, and think of the story you can tell your grandkids some day. "When I was young, we had to carry our chickens home from the post office on our backs." They'll be rolling their eyes at you.

4. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    If you have a dept store shopping bag it may make it easier to carry them, and it would provide some insulation to chilly air. Make sure to put ventilation holes towards the bottom. Even though the bag is open at top CO2 is heavier then air and settles at the bottom. Air holes on the bottom would give them fresh air, from the top.

I had a broody hen hatch chicks at the end of march and it was still cold out and amazingly those chicks scratched outside in the cold without ill affects. They would stop about every half hour and huddle under mom to get warm for a few minutes and then continue in the cold.

5. GlenwoodFarm

GlenwoodFarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Montclair, New Jersey
    Thanks everyone! That's good to hear [​IMG]

6. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    If you think its going to be very cold you can

1. get a wagon or cart you can pull them in
    2. get those little handwarmers (the ones you squeeze and then they get hot)
    3. put the handwarmers under one end of the chick box in the wagon

7. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I used to have one of those shopping carts back when I had no car. That or a wagon or an old stroller or something would help to keep your arms from tiring, and perhaps lessen the jostling on the kids.

8. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Quote:[​IMG]

You could even try a hot water bottle or some warm towels in plastic bags. Good luck.

9. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    My kids have long been out of a stroller but I still have one around. They are great for carrying things other than a baby. The ride is smooth so no bouncing around and generally light weight and after all you would be carrying babies [​IMG]

10. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Another option too would be to call your local church and have them arrange a ride for you. Don't be embarrassed they do this often for people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by