1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chick Picking on another Chick Mercilessly

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Redhead Rae, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere! Premium Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    I have 10 Black Cochin/Dominique or Dom cross chicks that are 7.5 weeks old and hatched and raised by a Mama hen. One of the cockerels (I think his mother was a Dom/RIR (she is known for being a bully) because he has redish feathers on his chest) was mercilessly beating up on one of his brothers. I put him (the aggressor) in time out for the rest of the afternoon by dropping a milk crate over him. He just wouldn't stop, even with me standing over them. I have no idea what to do about this. I would slaughter him, but he is still too small to eat (not even 8 weeks old). They range within the 5,000 sq ft poultry paddock I have my laying flock in, so crowding isn't the issue.

The one getting picked on is such a meek little guy and really sweet. He calmed down nicely and let me handle him when he realized I was trying to help him The pictures are after I cleaned him up.
    Picked on baby2.jpg
    Picked on baby.jpg

You can just see how cocky this little monster (the aggressor) is in this picture.
    aggressor.jpg

Wolfgang B. likes this.
  2. ChickenGirl555

ChickenGirl555 Songster

Oct 22, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I would put the bully on a even bigger time out, like a day or multiple days, and if it gets too bad, separate him all together until he’s old enough to slaughter

3. Redhead Rae

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    Thanks, I think if he becomes too odious, I may slaughter him earlier than I would like to. I don't really have the means to separate him and keep him predator safe at night in solitary.

4. ChickenGirl555

ChickenGirl555 Songster

Oct 22, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Yeah, luckily we only have 1 cockerel and will give him away this spring/summer, because we don’t want all of that confusion. If I were you I’d get rid of the bully. Our pullets live peacefully, but I would give away a bully if the time outs didn’t work.

5. Redhead Rae

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    6 of my 10 chicks are cockerels. I have two main roosters (buff and Black Cochin) they get along pretty well with 34 ladies between them, two leghorn crossbreed roosters I need to harvest, two Delaware roosters and two New Hampshire roosters (I'm just trying to decide which of the DE and NH roosters I want to keep). I have the Delaware, New Hampshire and Leghorn crosses in a "bachelor pad" for the ladies sake. They are all 5-7 months old so I can't put the 7.5 week old problem baby in with them because he would get killed.

6. Fairview01

Fairview01 Songster

Jan 26, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    I would advise to just put the offending chick down no matter his size. It will eventually learn that this one is nothing more than a living mre. After he kills this one he will move on to the next one in the low end of the pecking order.

chickens really and raecarrow like this.
  7. Redhead Rae

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    I'm seriously considering it. I'll keep an eye on them tomorrow. I'm wondering what I should do with the carcass. I guess I can pluck, and eviscerate him, but it almost seems like too much work for so little meat. It might be worth it just to see how they look at 8 weeks. I wouldn't be able to do the deed until Saturday if he is still a monster tomorrow. I might just put him in a temporary cage inside the rooster coop to keep him away from the older roosters and keep him from freezing in the night until I can get around to slaughtering.

8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

Glad your not swemish...I would Cull him today..I have zero time for aggressive behaviour...He won't stop..

9. Redhead Rae

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    Honestly, I was tempted to wring his neck right then and there. If it were warmer and I could make use of our maggot bucket, I probably would have.

chickens really likes this.
  10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

Yep, some say to separate...I say Cull...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: