chick pics @ 2 weeks - some big red combs already, eep!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by patandchickens, May 15, 2008.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I had read that Campines were a fast-developing breed. No kidding. Here is one of them at a day short of 2 wks old (that's counting from hatching), I assume he is going to be a male:

[​IMG]

Here is my son's favorite, the runt he has named Peep, who unfortunately is developing considerable headgear as well:

[​IMG]

For comparison here is the least-developed campine (in the comb department):

[​IMG]

The Speckled Sussex don't have as much variation. Here is one of the largest-combed to date:

[​IMG]

And here is one of the smaller-combed individuals:

[​IMG]

I really like the SS a lot, btw -- they are much more calm and laid-back than the other two breeds. They are sort of the Quarter Horses of my brooder [​IMG]

Here is one of the Buff Chanteclers. They never do end up with much comb so I don't suppose I'll be able to sex them for quite a while. My son has named this one "Ladder". I haven't the faintest idea why.

[​IMG]

And finally, part of the mob in general:

[​IMG]

No real question here, just showing off [​IMG], but if anyone wants to comment on whether I'm likely to be right about the meaning of comb size (and in the case of the GC's, redness) at the tender age of not-quite-2-weeks, I'm certainly listening [​IMG]

Pat

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    Holey moley! I've never seen a chick that small with a comb THAT big!!! (first pic) Even the second guy is clearly a roo.

Have you ever had SS? If not, you are going to LOVE them. They are very sweet birds. [​IMG]

3. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    Yowza, that is a big comb! They are too precious. Thanks for sharing the pics!

4. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    My campines are just over a week old, and have no where near the size of those combs or wing feathers. In fact they seem to be developing alot slower than some of my other chicks.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Oh, just wait. Heh heh. Mine were a bit later than the other two breeds to get their feathers (and are still, on average, behind 'em in general feathering). However on the evening of Day 12 I started to see signs of wee little combs, and then, as you can see, KABOOM [​IMG] I really think I have 4 roos and 2 hens, btw.

I'll be interested to hear whether yours do the same thing, but I betcha it won't be all that different... [​IMG]

Good luck,

Pat

6. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    My Brahma did the same thing. Yesterday he suddenly had a big red comb. Very obviously a roo. One of my RIR sprouted a big comb too. Not bad out of a group of 12 chicks. I guess all the ones in my first group are female. Haha.

7. chickenwhisper5

chickenwhisper5 New Egg

Jun 3, 2012
    What king of chickens are the brownish ones - we received 24 eggs from a farm in Lancaster and 7 from here fro our incubator, and now have 19 2 week olds, but do not know what kind of chickens they are - the Lancaster babies look like yours.

Also, is there any other way to tell which ones are roosters at this point?

A few have red comps - is that an inidicator?

8. jeapa

jeapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Those are some really cute chicks. I have not seen a comb that large on any of my chicks and they're 4 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by