Chick Pics!! Hatched Sept 10, 11, & 12 2009

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MAllen, Sep 12, 2009.

1. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    Hi All, Out of 31 eggs I put into my HovaBator 1588 with auto turner 26 have hatched. I still have the other 5 in the bator but they have not pipped and I harbor little hope for them. Still, the eggs were all shipped to me after I bought them on eBay, sooooo an 84% hatch rate is pretty good I think for a first timer such as myself. Here's photos of my new chicks.

First I want to show off my "purchased" chicks. These four little bantams I bought at the local Atwoods store here in Claremore Oklahoma. They are fun, funny, and I think they will make good lawn ornaments & bug catchers. No idea what breed of bantams they are, I just thought they were cute so I bought them. They have attitude to spare!!

[​IMG]

Ok, now for the chicks that I hatched out. First are my four little black'uns. I got in touch with the lady who sold me the brown eggs they came out of (eBay) and she said that they are a cross between Australorp and Cuckoo Marans and if they are gals they might lay really dark brown eggs. Here they are....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From this same person on eBay I got these two little yellow fuzzy butts, also out of brown eggs. No idea what breed they are, the lady has lots of different breeds evidently. Two chicks are not shown in these pics because they needed help hatching are still have a lot of dried membrane material on them so they are not very cute. Unfortunately both of these are my easter eggers that this lady sent, both came out of blue/green eggs. They are doing fine however and after they have had time to rest up they will both get a good cleaning and will be good as new. Here's the yellow puff balls.

[​IMG]

And now for my "Sea Of Gold". The eggs for these also came from an eBay seller, these are for certain all pure Golden Buff Orpingtons. I'm not sure if you can actually get the full effect of their truely "Golden" color in these pics but WOW you outta see it in real life!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, all is well that ends well I suppose. I'm pretty happy with the hatch rate and look forward to the next one. I really hope that every one of those Orpingtons are gals except for one, maybe two. I also have 17 red sex link chicks that are 3 weeks old now, (purchased at Atwoods) so if everything goes as planned I should have a hen house full of big brown egg layers, yummy!!!

Best Regards,

Matt

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] congrats!!! They are too cute!!!!

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Beautiful pics, gorgeous birds! Congrats! And that is an awesome hatch rate for your first time--and shipped eggs to boot! I have hatched twice now and both were about 69%. Room for improvement.

Thanks for sharing!

4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Really cute MAllen, can't wait for my new babies. [​IMG]

5. suzpyoung

suzpyoung Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    Very, very beautiful chicks! And very impressive hatch rate too along with a nice endorsement for your Hovabator 1588!

6. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG, new flock, they're so many in number. [​IMG]

congratulation...

they're so cute!!

7. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Way to go on your hatch! The chicks are soooo cute!

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    That top picture looks like you may have a wyandotte or 3. The babies you hatched are just beautiful.

9. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    Thanks everyone for all the kind comments. So far so good, none of the other five eggs have pipped so I guess my hatch is over & done. All the chicks seem to be doing really well in the brooder and the two I had to help hatch are cleaned up and doing well.

Last night my wife and I went out to check on them and there was this small flying bug buzzin around the brooder light and two of the bantams were watching it with great interest. So I caught it and tossed it down into the box. One of the bantams ran over and grabbed it with incredible presision, then took off running around the brooder with 10 or 12 other chicks hot on his heels trying to take the bug away!! My wife was laughing so hard she was crying & could hardly breath, what fun!!!

Best Regards,

Matt

10. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Yep I love the chicken chase and ensuing tug of war. I have a broody in a pen with 10 chicks and she kills with great grouchy noises and then the chase is on. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by