Chick Pics.....lots of 'em

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 65browneyes, May 5, 2008.

1. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    March 25, I brought home these......

[​IMG]

In the pile here are 3 Leghorns, 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Rhode Island Reds. I went ONLY for the BOs, and Ameraucanas. Little did I know it would be so difficult to acquire Ameraucana chicks locally. Note to self.......do not take DD with you to buy chicks.

Two weeks later, I got these.........

[​IMG]

3 White Crested Polish.

Last Wednesday, my broody hatched this little EE chick for me........

[​IMG]

We named it Snickers (her aunt Tootsie lives with the big girls). I hope she's a girl, but my fear is she's a boy from the looks of her wing feathers. If I didn't KNOW this chick hatched from the egg my EE laid, I would never beleive this to be an EE chick.

Edited to add.....I was finally able to check this chick's wings again just a few minutes ago and SHE really does look like a SHE today. I first checked her when she was 2 days old so not too many feathers there. BIG difference between then and now. I reeeeally hope for a pullet!!

Here the older ones are today...........

[​IMG]

and.......

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
  2. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Love the hairdos on the polish.

3. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Gotta love the Polish!!!!![​IMG]

4. TreeFever

TreeFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    MA
    those teenage polish's are super rad!
    I showed a picture of them to a punker friend of mine and we decided those are the the most punk chickens we've ever seen. do they mosh? hahha
    I can't wait for mine^^

5. tntstanifer

tntstanifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    Tennessee
    Doesn't it amaze you to look back on how little they were? I have two Polish and want more, they are like pets and they WANT attention and affection. I have one, Cotton Top, that I truly think he knows his name [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I'm so glad we have such big chicken lovers in Arizona [​IMG]

7. BreakneckBrook

BreakneckBrook Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Foothills of Maine
    I am thinking since I am polish...and since they are so darn cool, I need some of those Polish chicks! Yep, NEED them. LOL [​IMG]

8. olivesmom

olivesmom Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    They are awesome!

I am also in AZ and new to having chickens. I was wondering when I should bring my 2 week old chickens out to live. The weather is so different here. Someone suggeted I change the topic to ask about keeping chickens in extreme heat. I would love any info you have on keeping chickens in Phoenix.

Thansk,
    Charlotte

9. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    I put my older group out in the nursery coop when they were fully feathered, weekend before last. The nursery coop is not in the hen house or even in the outdoor run. It sits adjacent to the big girls' run, as you can see here......

[​IMG]

That is a shot from last spring. I have a roost 'bar' in there in addition to the box. At night, I cover the two exposed sides with small sections of plywood, as well as the top. If it should happen to rain, I leave the sheet on top to help keep them dry.

The older group is nearly as big as last year's chicks (D'Anver Quail, I think) as fully-grown layers are, so they'll be ready to integrate soon. The polish will be ready for the nursery in about 2 or 3 more weeks, I'm guessing.

10. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    I love the Polish...mine are only a few days old....after seeing what your look like at a few weeks old I want more... [​IMG]

I should have gotten more than just two!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by