Chick Pics Today, Blue Orps, BRs, Ameraucana, Etc...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Jan 17, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just some of the 20 chicks in the brooder from the Jan 2 and 5 hatches and the straggler BR baby from Jan 11. The Splash Orp and the odd colored Barred Rock really stand out, don't they? Bad light in the bsmt bathroom-can't wait to get them into daylight. They'll be moving to the nursery coop at the end of the month.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    awww how cute little fuzzybutts

julie

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    So you think he is a pure BR they sure will be nice adults how is the brahm/orph's doing?

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sweet babies.

5. speckledhen

Actually, I'm inclined to think that baby is a BR/SLW with my single-combed Wyandotte, Lorelei, as his/her mother. I suppose time will tell as the baby develops.
    The Blue Orp/Buff Brahma babies are doing great. The blue one has lots of leg feathering and I'm positive is a cockerel because he's already crowed. He's going to be a very strikingly handsome boy for someone some day since I really have no place for him here. The chocolatey-black Orp/Brahma with sparser leg feathering seems to me to be a pullet; still, it's a little early to tell 100%. They are both very pretty babies. I had pics of the probable pullet, but they were way too grainy and dark to keep.

6. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    They sure are fat. I bet that splash is a pullet I mean fat in a good way as cute.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  7. speckledhen

Oh, Julie, I sure pray you're right about the Splash! To me, it doesn't seem particularly roo-ish right now. The comb isn't prominent at all nor are the legs like tree trunks, LOL. I love the pic you posted of your splash hen recently and I want one just like her! She's gorgeous. I think at least one or two of the three black Orps in the brooder are pullets, too.

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Very cute, youll have to keep us posted on the unique BR

9. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Cynthia the thing I love about the Orps is that the older they get the more awesome they look. A year makes a huge difference. Blue boy and Splash hen and two black hens will be two yrs in June. They have really filled out this year.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You girls are making me jealous that I don't have any orps yet!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by