Chick pics! What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Buster, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Here are some chicks that are currently in my outside brooder pen. I have 2 d'uccle cockerels and one d'uccle pullet, an undetermined polish chick, an undetermined silkie chick, a blue cochin cockerel, and a partridge cochin that I hope is a pullet. Can anyone tell me for sure? The cochins are about 6 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Easter_pink_silkies

Easter_pink_silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    your silkie appears to be a bearded black or blue, but id need to see a better picture to say for sure
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pic of my black non-bearded silkie hen Amaya for comparison. try to ignore her beak deformity (the woman who sold her to me said she didnt notice when she grabbed her out of the yard and called her a "fluke" and offered to "take her back") Some people![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  3. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Your Blue cochin is definately a roo. Here is my blue cochin at 8 weeks and you can hardly see any red.....

[​IMG]

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks for your reply. The silkie is a blue bearded one. It seems to have a little hook of a beak as well, but we'll see how it goes as it gets older. I am sure I will have to wait a bit to be able to tell the genders of the polish and the silkie. What's killing me is the huge partridge cochin! I surely hope it's a pullet.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Thanks- I am certain he is a roo too. I wish I had some use for him, but I don't. [​IMG] Compared to him, what do you think the partridge cochin is?

6. Easter_pink_silkies

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    oh the partrigde looks like a hen! also heres my Polish hen, Afro when she was just a little older than that.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  7. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I don't think that is a partridge cochin. Looks like a gold lakenvelder with feathered feet [​IMG] Maybe a buff brahma?

8. Easter_pink_silkies

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Quote:thats what threw me off for a minute [​IMG] i knew i wasent crazy!

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Well... The lady who gave them to me said she ordered them as cochins from a hatchery. I had some light brahmas from Ideal earlier this year, but I've never had cochins. Oh well, I guess I'll see what happens. If they are roos they will be dinner someday and if they are pullets they will go into DW's layer flock.

10. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    No clues on gender but that blue sure is a pretty color. May have to add some to my flock one day.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by