Chick pics :) Why do all my favorite ones turn out to be cockerels?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ShaggysGirl, May 30, 2010.

1. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    These are chicks our Broody Cochin hatched 5 weeks ago. As of today I know there are at least 2 cockerels [​IMG] The Cuckoo Marans/EE has had his comb for aboout two weeks.
    Today I'm standing there looking at them sitting on the crate that is in the coop and I hear the funniest little crow. I thought it was the CM/EE but nope it was another one [​IMG] Saddly it seems my favorite ones always seem to turn out to be roosters [​IMG]
    Any ways here are some pics
    Both cockerels
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The others, hoping they turn out to be pullets
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a older 12 week old EE I was so hoping they all would be pullets since we ordered that way but I knew the odds would be a couple would be cockerels but did it have to be the prettiest one?!
    [​IMG]

OK so do like all the prettiest Easter Eggers turn out to be roosters?
    Have a great day
    Rhonda

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    My 25 yr. old son is the luckiest person in the world. I've decided its because he always expects things to turn out like he wants. I think we really do get what we think about the most....interesting, isn't it....

Next time order pullets online, or, pick from the 80% pullet bin with your 100% pullet thinking!

3. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    I think cockerals have more personality when they are young. That's why they always turn out to be our favorites.[​IMG]

4. ShaggysGirl

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    krstms, That could very well be. They are the most entertaining.

5. LostAcreFarm

LostAcreFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2010
    Marshall Va
    my ee's have the same size comb and their hens im pretty sure youre last pic is a hen [​IMG]

6. ShaggysGirl

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:You think? That would be great! The others her age there are 10 EEs all together.. they don't have any comb showing yet. Crossing fingers [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by