Chick pile

4 luv of eggs

Songster
9 Years
Apr 22, 2010
Westminster, MD
It's been warm and humid here in Maryland but the other night my six 11 week olds did something rather curious. My roo laid down in a plot of grass and soon, the other five ladies joined him. One by one they all laid down too with the roo at the bottom of the heap. All were preening but poor Locke couldn't move yet he didn't seem to mind either. This was right before it began to get dark. They stayed like this for about 15 minutes and one by one moved on until Locke was the only one left. He finally go up and went his merry way.

Is this a sign of affection or respect? The six younger ladies (eight week olds) wouldn't even try to approach. They're scared of the older girls and petrified of Locke. I have noticed other times that when he lays down, one of the ladies (usually my black australorp) will lay down with him. It has just never been this many.

I have noticed the same behavior with my 11 RIRs and production reds. They often at times prefer to "dogpile" over roosting when dusk approaches. Sometimes even during the middle of the day they'll nap in a dogpile for 15-20 minutes (all nestled in very close and tight, which makes it hard to count who is all in the pile).

How old are yours? I'm wondering if hormones are beginning to flow.
smile.png

I am new to this, I took over a flock of 19 about 3 weeks ago, I still don't know what I have, I am still scrambling to get their living situation all squared away. We let them out as much as we can and love just watching them do their thing. I caught about 8 of them in one spot doing a chicken pile and another 6 in another area doing the same thing. I don't know why, but they seemed to be enjoying themselves and about a half hour later they off eating bugs.

welcome-byc.gif
--------> all you newbies!!!

Just goes to show you learn something new every day! I've been keeping chickens off and on all my life, and I've never seen a chicken pile! It sounds so cool! I feel like I've been deprived.
tongue.png

Same here--they seem to enjoy it. Mine are right around 11 weeks too. And the strange thing is (since we have some straight run chicks in the mix), that we have at least 3 roos in the bunch and they don't seem to mind cozying up with everyone. Hopefully they keep the peace.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom