Chick pilot gonna get some chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PilotChick, Apr 19, 2012.

1. PilotChick

PilotChick New Egg

Apr 6, 2012
    Thanks for this great resource! My husband’s co-worker recommended I check the site out and I’ve been “lurking” and reading a lot here to help prepare me for my first ever chickens—am planning on getting five this coming week. The coop gets painted and shingled this weekend and next week I hope to get three golden sex-links and two buff orpingtons. I'm kind of embarassed to admit I've never even held a chicken yet I am "all in" with this venture!

Besides chickens, I’ll be spending my summer gardening, sewing, making soap, making wine, etc… Basically trying to learn a lot about self-sufficient skills because many of these same skills also help promote a cleaner, greener environment… and they help save money!

I'm a pilot and I live in the burbs of Salt Lake with my hubby and my 83lb “baby” Anatolian Shepherd who makes a great running/hiking/skijoring/ and snuggling partner!

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. You've come to the right place. :thumbsup

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to BYC from Michigan!

You might also want to check out a BYC sister site called Sufficient Self. There is a link at the bottom of this page. Excellent site there also.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

5. PilotChick

PilotChick New Egg

Apr 6, 2012
    I actually just saw that listed on BYC only moments before you suggested it-- I'm heading over there now to check it out! Thanks!

6. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    I was preparing on here for months before I actually got my first chickens. :lol: Spent a couple of weeks alone just making the homemade feeder!
    Pretty cool that you're a pilot. I would love to be an airline pilot one day...
    Anyway, I hope you have many rewarding experiences raising your chickens, don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site! :D

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by