Chick Pip, but in the wrong place?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bugandpudge, Feb 27, 2015.

1. bugandpudge

bugandpudge Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    Hello,

This is my first round of incubating eggs. My eggs are polish bantam crossed with unknown bantam. Last night my egg pipped externally and it was more in the middle of the egg than on the big end. So I thought that I may have somehow cracked it and I sealed it gently back together with nail polish. Well I just checked on them again and it broke the seal, made the hole larger and is now chirping. I can see the little beak with an egg tooth. The chick however seems to be making the initial hole bigger instead of zipping. Since the hole is in the center should I help it sooner or just wait it out? And if it doesn't start zipping should I help zip? I have watched a few videos of helping if necessary, and I know it is best to wait til it is the last resort.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Leave it alone. This little chick is trying to get out, and the more you intervene, the more likely it will be to fail. I recommend that you save your videos for pics of healthy chicks doing healthy chick things. The likelihood of assisting with a hatch causing an improved outcome is at best minimal. Sit back, and watch the miracle of birth from a distance. Don't touch that bator.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I would let the chick get out on its out.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    X 3 let it hatch on its own. Some chicks do pip a little lower than others not all chicks are the same. In general the pip hole does get bigger before they start zipping. Here are a few example pics
    [​IMG]
    This piped only just above half way.
    [​IMG]
    This pipped and started zipping much nearer the top.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on.

5. bugandpudge

Mar 7, 2013
    Well it has now been around 36 hours no real progression. I can see the chicken inside breathing and hear it chirping occasionally. Still wait it out?

6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Any other action with any other eggs? After 36 hours, it's your call. But, you must realize that this chick may die, no matter what you choose to do. If you do decide to intervene, you can chip a little hole in the top of the air cell so you can get a look inside. If the chick is shrink wrapped, you'll probably have to help. Proceed very slowly, and stop at the least sign of blood. You might want to just remove enough of the shell at the top, and open up the membrane, if there's no blood. Then put it back, and let the chick finish on it's own. It may be taking so long b/c there's still blood or yolk to be absorbed.

7. bugandpudge

Mar 7, 2013
    I did remove just a bit of shell and I'll give it a few more hours. She membrane was starting to dry so I dampened it with warm water

8. bugandpudge

Mar 7, 2013
    Great news ! It finished hatching itself and is now stumbling around the incubator! Everything looks healthy so far.

1 person likes this.
  9. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    [​IMG]

10. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Congratulations great to hear it has hatched ok :celebrate