Chick pip in the middle of the egg...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newbiejones, Jan 13, 2015.

1. newbiejones

newbiejones Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2015
    North Texas
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure if this chick is ready to hatch or not but it pipped earlier this evening, we moved the eggs from the turner to the tray and when moving hubby ran his finger across the small crack to see if it had breathing hole, a little blood formed but dried up quickly. I can't hear any peeps but I do see the egg moving and I see movement on the membrane. Should I make a pip near the air pocket or just leave it be? Any advice is helpful. And just fyi- I'm not sure on the progress bc I had a broody hen that lost interest about 2 weeks in and had taken all the other hens eggs into her broody nest so they are all in different stages and only one incubator. Very frustrating!:/

2. Dcat

Dcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    AA County Maryland
    Not ready, leave it be! Give it at least 24 hours before you really worry(LOLOLOL, you always worry) but really, I've had them pip like that quite a few times and they hatch out just fine on their own, just keep your humidity up and she should be fine.
    With a staggered hatch the best you can do is wait, just keep the hatched ones in the incubator till they are dry)also for 12-24 hours) and then you can put them in the brooder. Hopefully you will have at least one more hatch right behind the first so it wont feel lonely. I feel your frustration on not knowing when they will all hatch. I would wait for this one to hatch out and if I didn't see any other pips, I would candle the other eggs to see if I can get a better idea of their progress and then cross my fingers. Good luck on these babies.

3. newbiejones

Jan 9, 2015
    North Texas
    Thank you for your advice. I am going to try and sleep and not worry!

4. Dcat

Mar 19, 2014
    AA County Maryland
    How is the baby doing this morning? Of the last two chicks that did this to me one I opened the pip a little more to see that it was getting enough air, then I tried to make sure I didnt let the revealed membrane go dry and went to bed, was hatched out when I got up the next morning. The second Didn't do anything and it hatched out on it's own also. It can seem like its taking forever when when in actuality it's doing just right. I've seen quite a few people that have intervened and with good reason, I've done it too but as im still pretty new at this I really believe I get too impatient and worried especially when they end up doing great on their own.

5. newbiejones

Jan 9, 2015
    North Texas
    I'm about to go check. I also think I worry to much. My DH thinks I become too emotionally involved but I can't help it. I'll update once I see how she is. Thanks for checking:)

6. Dcat

Mar 19, 2014
    AA County Maryland
    White membrane around the opening is normal. So is some dried blood around it that makes it look a little brown. I wish I knew where to find good pics of shrink wrapped chicks, I k ow it would have helped keep me from freak in out a few times. My kids and my husband have more faith in the chicks and my incubating skills than I do, I "just know" I did something wrong and next thing you know there are babies making an awesome racket in there.

7. newbiejones

Jan 9, 2015
    North Texas
    No progress but I do hear weak chirping now. So does that mean it made it to the air cell?

8. newbiejones

Jan 9, 2015
    North Texas
    I just took a wet qtip and moistened the area. The little one is chirping away, when I candled the egg and it looked like it was only at day 18 or so. The air pocket is very small and at the smaller end. The poor chick is turned around maybe. If it hasn't made progress by noon I'm going to remove a little more to help. It sounds weaker than the other two so I'm thinking she may need help.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    My malepositioned chick pipped right in the middle. I gave her about 18 hours and when there was no progress I chipped away the shell at the pip to make it bigger so I could see what position it was in. Once I made the hole big enough I could tell she wouldn't be hatching on her own as her head was tucked under her foot. He foot was literally sitting on her beak and sticking out the hole with her beak. So I expanded the hole a bit, moistened the membrane and put her back in to attempt to help herself. (Mind you this was the second chick that had pipped out of my 13 that hatched.) I made sure my humidity stayed as high as I could get it as I knew that I would be periodically helping with my malepositined one. I'd wait between an hour and two to see what she could do and then I would pull the egg and remove a bit more shell, moisten the membrane return her to the bator and repeat giving her time to try to out herself. I probably did this four times before the hole was good enough that she could get her foot back into position. Once she managed to get re-situated, she was able to push herself out from the shell. She is now almost 10 weeks old and doing great. She had no after effects from the state of maleposition. She would never have made it w/o help as there was no way she could push at the shell in the position she was in.

10. newbiejones

Jan 9, 2015
    North Texas
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by