chick piped lastnight still not zipping yet? Advice?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    It piped lastnight about 11-12. It still has not zipped some of the shell from the pip has fallen off but the membrane is still there My temp is 100.6 and humidity is 67%. Should I wait or help??? today is day 21 for some of my eggs but that egg is not due to hatch till monday but it piped lastnight.

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I would wait. Some times it takes forever after they pip to do anything else.

3. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Your chick is O.K. Sometimes it takes them 24 hours or longer to get there. To early to panic.

4. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Wait. Mine always seem to take around twelve to twenty four hours from that first pip. If the membrane is not broken, they are fine. They cannot dry out on the inside when it is still there. Once they are zipping, mine seem to be hatched in 30 minute or less.

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    thank you all! I said up most the night waiting and watching temps and humidity finally I had to go to bed when I got up it was the same so I paniced. Thanks!

6. jonty

jonty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Voßfeld Germany
    Like everyone said, just wait. It's a hard job getting out and they need to rest now and again before doing a bit more.

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Good advice in the posts here. After pipping, the chick rests and finishes absorbing the yolk sac. It also converts to pulmonary respiration. If you find the gap between pip and zip takes more than 24 hours, you may want to consider options, but your incubator conditions are good and things sound normal now.

Good luck, and enjoy your new babies! [​IMG]

8. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:Its O.K. all of us were in your shoes at one time. Mine still trip me out and I've been hatching awhile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by