1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick pipes wrong end and breaks yolk sack!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RussianChickens, Apr 27, 2016.

1. RussianChickens

RussianChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    I have a chick that started to partially zip and didn't move for 20 hours. I checked on him this morning and he was covered in yellow and red goo and gasping for air. I could hear it in his airways so I broke the hole open and wiped the goo away from his face which was down on the bottom end of the shell, nowhere near the airsac.

A ton of this goo drained out when I opened the shell. I took it slow and I notice his yolk sack hasn't been absorbed yet. I fear he has punctured it!! Maybe that was the yellow goo all around his face and that drained out!?

Posting pics. Any help? U have him still in his she'll wrapped in a wet towel.[​IMG][/IMG]

2. RussianChickens

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    [​IMG]

3. RussianChickens

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    [​IMG]

4. RussianChickens

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    Anyone help??

5. RussianChickens

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    Can somone please help?! I don't know what to do for this chick. He hasn't absorbed the yolk sack and wants to kick out of his shell. He was malpositioned and his head was down by his butt.

What do I do with him? I'm trying to keep him moist in the Bator but his yolk isn't absorbed and he is still leaking that yellow goo. I think he ruptured his yolk when struggling to breath. This liquid was already coming out before to did anything to his shell.

How long is it take to absorb the yolk.? I don't think he will stay in his shell he cheep breaking it open more and more.

6. RussianChickens

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    Can anyone help me? Or is everyone on this thread just going to ignore my post? ? :'(

Not even a link to something written up that can help? I use to know a site but I've long since lost the link.

I lost another chick to this same goo because I didn't intervene. Now am I going to lose this one too?!

Sorry for the grammar and spelling issues. It's my phone.

7. Thistledewfarm

Thistledewfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2016
    Sorry your going through this! Hopefully someone can help! I have no clue what to do

8. elmoflim

elmoflim Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
  9. RussianChickens

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    Thank you so much!!!

10. elmoflim

elmoflim Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    how's it doing?