chick pipped and now membrane is dry?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hennyhandler, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have Finally had eggs start to pip. One started late last night and I watched it pip and crack some areas around. I went to sleep and this morning the humidity was down. The little section of membrane I could see was yellow looking and dry. Yesterday he was just a rocking and chirping. I hear a chirp but I don't know if that is it or another one. Should i take it out and try to work on it myself? I got the humidity back up so should I wait and see if that will make the difference? I don't know what to do but I really want him to make it. He will be my first chick hatched.[​IMG]

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Don't try to peel him out yet, you could nick a blood vessel and bleed him out. Try moistening the membrane by using a warm, damp paper towel. Just set it over the dry part for a minute. If, once the membrane is wet, you don't see any blood vessels, you can try gently chipping his hole a little larger to help him along, but don't get carried away! I know there are rules about helping chicks hatch. I have to say, I follow my own rules and havent lost any chicks yet. I get out a washcloth and dampen it with very warm water, then I take out the egg and wrap it in the washcloth leaving a small exposed area where I'm going to be working. I use tweezers to take small bits of shell and membrane off, and talk to the chick to encourage him to move. if you start to see ANY blood, stop, put him back in the bator, and wait for a while to see if he can use the help you provided. If your humidity drops when you open the bator, add a tish of warm water thru the vent holes once you've got it closed again to bump the humidity back up a little. Not a lot, you dont want to drown anyone in their shell.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I know it's hard, but it can take a good two or three days for a chick to get out of the shell. It's a very difficult journey for them. Try not to open that incubator, because you'll let that humidity out and all the other eggs may be in danger of being too dry.

Oh, it is so difficult. Believe me, I've helped a chick and it is not a good thing to do most of the time.

Take care and keep us posted!
    Sharon

4. BettyJo

BettyJo Out Of The Brooder

What do you do when the eggs are under the hen? Mom's a Black Jersey Giant, and has decided to sit on 10 eggs. I'm sure most of the eggs are from others who took the opportunity to lay while she was up eating. I have one chick hatched today, and another was a dried membrane result. It already smelled and the chick was dead. The others are all in question on whether they are viable or not. Guess I have to watch closely to see any peeps.

I've had chickens for years, but never had roosters until living in the country. So, now I have to figure out all the Hen + chick and flock relationships. One chick (3.5 wks old) was abandoned tonight, so mom could roost with the flock. I took her down and put her back in the cage with baby for the night. Not sure I'm doing the right thing, but I'm hoping I don't have to bring chicks back in the house.

Any advice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by