1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick pipped but darkish fluid leaked out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ICanSpeakChicken, Dec 5, 2010.

1. ICanSpeakChicken

ICanSpeakChicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I had my first chick hatch this morning [​IMG] almost 2 days early

I have another 2 that have pipped but 1 of them has a residue of darkish fluid that has dried onto the paper towel underneath where it has pipped

Is this really abnormal?? It had pipped at 6.30 am when I got up this morning but nothing since (3 pm now here in OZ)

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I've never seen dark liquid come out with a pip, but keep us posted!!!!

3. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:Is it daylight savings there already? No wait, thats in winter isn't it. Anyway, why are you an hour ahead of me.
    as for your question, I think someone on here had that happen and I THINK everything turned out ok.
    I hope it hatches out great [​IMG]

4. ICanSpeakChicken

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hmmm.... I say darkish fluid but thats not quite right, just not clear if that makes sense, I dont have a good feeling for this one but we will see [​IMG]

How long do people wait to see with a pipped egg that doesnt go any further, 24 hrs before they investigate??

I am in Melbourne Guinea Fowl so yes we are on daylight savings time (I think) Its very humid down here today

5. debilorrah

Quote:Yes 24 hours before you investigate, or help.

6. ICanSpeakChicken

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks Debi [​IMG]

7. debilorrah

Quote:Your welcome Aussie friend. There are a few of you from Oz here....

8. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    yes, 24 hours before you should help. could you take a picture and post it here so we can get a bit more of an idea what it could be.
    It is humid here too. It hasn't stoped raining in days. It is getting really annoying, everytime I go down to the chickens ( or anywhere outside for that matter ) I come up with mud ALL up my legs. And I couldn't tell you how many times I've sliped over onto my Butt in a big mud puddle. And the rain is supposed to continue all week [​IMG]

9. ICanSpeakChicken

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ok the camera battery is on charge so give me a couple of hrs and should have a photo

10. ICanSpeakChicken

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ok, Camera/PC compatibility problems so cant get a pic [​IMG]

Ive just had another look and it appears it was blood stained fluid so the chick has tried to perhaps pip through a main vein or something, even the small pip hole is dark red

It hasnt moved or made any more progress, I think it may have already gone to heaven [​IMG]

Anyway, will leave it in and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by