1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick pipped over 24 hrs ago

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chonsey, Nov 8, 2015.

1. chonsey

chonsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2015
    On the nest
    Have a chick that pipped yesterday, peeping. Saturday night, no progress - slight peep. I THink the chick is so big it couldn't move around? Read up on some of the posts under Incubating & hatching eggs, followed the instructions - helped finish the zip. Chick is weak, no peeping but breathing - started shrink wrapping so I took most of the shell off. Don't know how to remove the inner membrane, looks like blood is still flowing through it - so I moistened it. Chick started peeping, wrapped it up in a moist towel and put back into incubator. Seemed to loosen up once I moistened it. Checked it again - this chick has a will to live! Still alive! How can I tell when the blood vessels are drying up and it's breathing completely on it's own?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  2. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    If it's head is free and can breathe then I'd be inclined to just leave it, it will probably just need to rest a while.
    If you wet the membranes you will see the veins with blood still in them, make sure all edges are moist, I wrapped mine in damp paper towel then put back in the incubator and went to bed, it was out when I woke up. Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  3. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    What about the other eggs? Did they all hatch? What day is it and what type of chick?

4. chonsey

Oct 17, 2015
    On the nest
    today is day 27, it's a guine chick. It's still alive, but in it's membrane still.

5. chonsey

Oct 17, 2015
    On the nest
    I got four shipped eggs, and they were not packaged properly (the egg carton was loose in a box, one egg was cracked). I candled them when I put them in lockdown. I know three were definitely moving inside the egg then. One more is starting to pip today. Had high winds come through Friday morning, knocked the power out. It came back on a few minutes later. Temperature might have spiked when the incubator came back on, it's new - and now the temperature gauge is off by 13 degrees so 100 degrees is really 113. Luckily I was right there and noticed it didn't match my other thermometer I have inside the incubator. Read sometimes guine eggs hatch early.

6. chonsey

Oct 17, 2015
    On the nest
    They are supposed to hatch 28 days.

7. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    I would wash my hands, take the chick out. remove the hard shell carefully be sure you don't damage the membrane then wrap the chick in a warm wet tissue paper and put it back in the incubator
    Good luck

8. chonsey

Oct 17, 2015
    On the nest
    It's wrapped up and put back in the incubator! Head is still down, but he's chirping

9. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    Not much else I can think of at this stage. may be if you put it's peak in water with some sugar added to it. if it drinks it can get some energy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by