Chick pipped wrong end, Broody hen broke air cell open!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CluckinBumpkin, Mar 10, 2014.

1. CluckinBumpkin

CluckinBumpkin Out Of The Brooder

My broody hen has multiple eggs shes hatching. Last night made it day 23. 4 have hatched out fine, broody hen likes to break them open once they pip for some reason. Otherwise she takes GREAT care of them once they are out. I guess shes impatient. Now, Last night about 9pm I noticed she was pecking at the air sac side of the egg, when I realized the chick had actually pipped the WRONG side. So I grabbed the egg before she broke vessels and yolk. There is only a small tear to the inner membrane near the yolk sac...so I took a qtip and (I was told you can use Neosporin to make sure it stays moist) put some Neosporin on the membrane just so it wouldn't dry out. I then covered the bottom with a latex glove to make somewhat of a temporary cover to give it time to absorb the rest of that yolk. Now, where the pip is, I went ahead and a gently pulled back a piece of the shell so when the chick was ready it could breathe, the chick pretty soon broke through that membrane. I then brought in a brooder lamp to keep the egg warm.

Well, its now almost 1pm the next day and the chick has been chirping, breathing and I can no longer see as much yolk. At this point its hard to tell if its just the wet waste. I see very tiny thin blood vessels, not as many as last night..very hard to find when looking hard almost. Ive gotten this far and im letting him be...ive also been told once you help it, you have to follow through when the time comes. Anyone have any tips? Patience isn't a problem, Im just not sure what point would be too late. I hate to see the little one die after all this because I left him in too long, he's tough :) All I can find is keep the membrane moist and then place back in incubator, in my situation the hen was doing the work. Any advice would be appreciated. Although I know some say its a big no-no, but the hen was trying to get him out but almost broke the sac...I figured at that point either he'd die from bleeding or I can at least give him a chance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    From the photo I can't see any veins, so that's good! That means it's close to ready to hatch. :)
    by contrast, here are pictures of a chick that is not quite ready to hatch: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/861429/could-really-use-some-quick-advice

Since it is day 23, and the pip is on the wrong end (malposition) I do agree that you will have to intervene.
    Here is some good reading on how to intervene: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/9316/intervention-helping-your-chicks-hatch

At 24 hours after the external pip, I would feel comfortable beginning to open the egg a little more. After the external pip, the chick starts breathing for the first time and acclimating it's lungs, the veins start shrinking and the yolk finishes absorbing. Somewhere around 24-36hr after first pip I would start helping it. You will need a steamy hot bathroom, neosporin without pain reliever, sterile tweezers and sterile hands. I also use a heating pad to place the egg on while I work to keep it warm.

Since you had the egg under a broody, I would be worried about it's temperature dropping... do you have an incubator at all? you need a hot humid environment (99F 60%), if you have a space heater you can run it in your bathroom with the hot shower on and you should get to temp in 10-ish minutes.

edit: ALSO, if you encounter any part of the membrane that is not already see-through, use neosporin on it to make the membrane become clear so you can see any VEINS left in the membrane. it is vitally important not to accidentally hit a vein!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  3. CluckinBumpkin

Thank you so much for the reply and links for me to read up on while I wait. I went ahead and checked the rear end of the egg once more since all of a sudden hes peeping extremely loud and wiggling big time. He has managed to poke a portion of his leg through the tiny slit in the membrane, making it larger...no blood. I don't see any yellow...it looks more whiteish.and maybe the size of 2 peas. I think you are right he may almost be ready. Since he can breathe, ill let him sit until later tonight when my kiddos go to bed so i can sit down and carefully chip it away. No, no incubator at all. My broody hen was determined, I just let her keep some eggs and said either they'll hatch or they wont. Definitely wasn't prepared for a mishap like this. Oh my boys bathroom has no windows and its separated into 2 sections, you can close off just the shower area. It gets super steamy in there, that may be PERFECT! He's definately trying to get out, maybe with the humidity he may make some progress, I cant believe how strong he still is. I was preparing for a very weak chick...So far the brooder lamp seems to be keeping him warm enough, his leg is warm. Thanks again, im going to try the steamy bathroom with our space heater.

Oh also, the photos in that post...WOW the veins my little guy has exposed are SUPER thin and some are dried out and absorbed...makes me think tonight may be an ok time to start helping him out. [​IMG]

Here's a better pic with what I'm seeing.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  4. CluckinBumpkin

**UPDATE** Last night It took me about 30minutes to get him out, I was very careful chipping away. slowly made the pip hole larger and peeled back the top membrane and actually just stretched the inner membrane until he could get out. [​IMG] He was actually quite LARGE compared to the others

[​IMG]

I gave him back to mama hen once he was out. She quickly tucked him under her and this morning...he's fluffed out and looks great! [​IMG] His/her name is 'FLUKE' a Blue Splash Marans x Silver Phoenix

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  5. Farmer Viola

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    YAY!!! I'm so happy for you and Fluke! you did a great job!

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Fantastic job. Now you can add your expertise to this site to talk someone else through an assisted hatch.

7. CluckinBumpkin

Thanks!! .....and I would definately be willing to help others through it. I think the key is patience and in my case keeping that bottom end moist and covered.

8. Farmer Viola

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    Yes! You did good keeping that part of the egg covered. If you click on the 1st link in my signature and scroll down a little bit, there is a photo of what to do in case of accidental premature assistance. They show you how to create an egg cap out of a spent egg shell to place over the pip hole. same idea basically :)

9. CluckinBumpkin

Ahh that would have been even better!

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Farmer Viola: are you saying to just grab an egg shell out of the incubator from a just hatched chick? any concerns about sanitation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by