1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Pipping Almost 4 Days Early! UPDATE: They Hatched!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tinychicky, Mar 13, 2011.

1. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i set the egg on feb. 24th. it should have hatched march 16th, but today's only the 13th of march which is day 17 (and a half ) of incubation. i've heard of bantams hatching early, but it's never happened to me [​IMG] i'm not complaining (this is me --------> [​IMG] [​IMG] ), but should i be worried about the chick at all? it's a mix breed bantam and it's being hatched by a broody, if that helps. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    anyone? [​IMG]

3. speakup4kids

speakup4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Yuba City , CA
    As long as it's pipping all by itself and you aren't helping it in any way then I wouldn't worry. Chicks tend to know when they are ready to hatch and it may pip for a full day.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Were your temps. steady?

5. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    like i said, it was hatched under a broody, so yes, the temps would be steady. the broody is a silkie cross, so she's very dedicated [​IMG]

6. Coldweatherbirds

Coldweatherbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Maine
    You set the egg and it's being hatched by a broody? Was it maybe already developing under a different hen? Regardless, congrats and happy hatching!

7. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i know for a fatc that it wasn't previously developing under another hen. this egg was laid by my "house chicken", tiny, and she's not broody.

8. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    Bantams tend to hatch early anyway. In fact most of my large foul seem to hatch a day early even under a broody hen so I wouldn't think it would be all that rare for a batam egg to pip on day 17. It might pip and sit there for a day or so. It'll come out when it's ready, early or late.

9. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    it's peeping lke crazy right now, talking to mama i think, it sounds like a very healthy chick [​IMG] hmmm, i wonder what color it'll be...... [​IMG]

10. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I read this and said "Wow!" I've been hatching under silkie broodies for several years and my record is only 1 day early so far. Wow!! Glad it's healthy and happy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by