Chick pipping upside down

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Time-Out, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I have a little egg that peeps at me. I was naughty and looked at it (to check it was that one peeping) and I saw a little crack UNDER the gg! Should I turn it the other way, so the pip is on top, or just leave it?

2. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I hope everyone isn't in bed, I'd rather know what to do or what not to do before it's too late [​IMG]

3. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    The chick will be okay.. I just caution you about handling the egg too much while the chick is hatching.. sit on your hands and just wait. That is the hardest part of incubating.

Shelly

4. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:I have had them pip upside down and still hatch okay just watch they will be all right. [​IMG]

5. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Ok.... I'm trusting you guys on this, cos I sure don't trust myself or my luck!

6. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    If it has not hatched yet, I would put the egg on it's side.

7. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    The pip hasn't gone through the membrane yet. It's just cracked the shell a bit. Is this normal or does it mean the membrane is too tough?

8. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    I'm yet to be a "hatcher" but from what i've been reading.. Give it time.. do not open the incubator or you can cause the humidty to drop and the chick to shrinkwrap and not be able to get out and possibly die.

I have been reading and reading these posts.. so i can learn all I can. I"m not a patient person trust me.. I'm someone who when I do something I want results fast, so this will be a hard venture for me. but i'm willing to embark on it,

just sit on them hands. and waite.

I want to try to buld a incubator out of a fish tank.. so I can have a 100 Degree view. so My PEEKING will not be a issue.. . but i'm het to fin dout if it's possible.. I have a tank.. and it could double as the brooder as soon as everone is born... till their big enough to go out with my current chicks who were hatched with a broody.
    (if your new check my intro thread on that.. it's a intresting story)

9. RSFChicks

RSFChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Rancho Santa Fe
    Yea that happens occassionally and they seem to do fine. However I have a rule of thumb that if the egg doesnt hatch after pipping within 18 hrs then I help it out and have always had good luck with this. You have to be careful and remove the shell slowly and if even the slightest amount of blood stop for a bit. Of course opening the incubator lets the humidity drop so that can create a big problem in itself because then the other eggs may not hatch. I had to help 3 out of my last hatch of 32 and they are doing great.

www.facebook.com/ranchosantafechicks

10. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I nudged it over a bit with my poking stick. All's going swimmingly! It's zipping and shouldn't be much longer!! Oh me oh my I've never been a mum before, only ever grandmum to my furry/scaley friends!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by