Chick PIPS In Wrong End and Ruptures Blood Vessel

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FourShuesFarm, Mar 24, 2017.

1. FourShuesFarm

FourShuesFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2017
    [​IMG]
    This chick is alive and moving inside, do I help it or just let it go. I did turn the egg on its side and hope it helps some.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    How long has it been like that?

3. FourShuesFarm

Jan 16, 2017
    a few hours, and the bird is still alive.

4. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I would help it.

5. FourShuesFarm

Jan 16, 2017
    ok I will try. I heard it can take 30 hours after PIP. I have 4 babies running about of 20 eggs put in lockdown.

6. FourShuesFarm

Jan 16, 2017
    Well I did, and I wish I wouldnt of. It might die, its yolk wasn't all the way absorbed. I think for now on I will let mother nature decide who lives or not. I feel kinda bad now. Thanks for your time. Tom

7. alhintz

alhintz New Egg

Mar 25, 2017
    I've been through a couple of hatches now and it's always such a tough decision trying to figure out whether or not to help them out, especially when they're clearly trying. For what it's worth I wish your chick the best, and try not to beat yourself up about it when you only had it's best intentions at heart.

8. FourShuesFarm

Jan 16, 2017
    Well.. I guess I lucked out. This little guy has seemed to of made it. You see, when I got him out of the shell, I could see the yolk had not been completely absorbed. Also the Shell half was kind of attached to the some of the membranes and such. What I did was lay the chick down with the stuff still attached and let him make it our not. There was more blood too. I laid the chick and the shell down on a warm damp paper towel so he would not get glued to all of the stuff still attached.

I went to bed at like 2am. This morning to my surprise this little guy/gal was over in the cluster of the other chicks. It made it, (well so far anyways). The good news is I did not do further damage and cause it to bleed out. Its amazing how complex Mother nature is when it comes to turning some fluid in an egg into a living little bird. Its also amazing how simple Mother nature makes things look, because when one steps into her world, the tiniest of errors have drastic implications. Ill keep you posted and offer some pics in a little while.

Lastly, thanks for giving me the push to help this little bird. I don't know if it would of made it without a little help. The way it was positioned in the egg (wrongside down), as well as the shape of the egg (it had some sort of double wall around the center.) plus a busted blood vessel during the PIP stage was kind of like 3 strikes against its life from the start. Again thanks, Tom

9. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by