Chick pix -- age ranges 4 weeks to almost 1 week

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by siouxbee, Jun 1, 2007.

1. siouxbee

siouxbee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Ok, here are some pics of our babies, now that we have them all! I started out wanting a couple of hens, and look what happened! We're already up to 12! I also didn't want roosters since our neighbors aren't our biggest fan (we cut down one of their trees. Oops. Misread the property line, big mistake. ) Don't need to make relations worse, right? Well, our silkies are straight run, as are our blue laced red wyandottes, and I strongly suspect that Speck is a roo as well, tho she's not supposed to be. Sigh. How many hens can support two roosters? I don't think we could keep more than that, and even that, I'm not sure. Maybe 1 silkie and 1 blrw. but i hate to give anyone away! Luckily my other neighbor will take one roo, so we could still visit that one.

All the breeds we wanted weren't available from the hatcheries at the same time so our babies have been trickling in. Sort of. Back at the beginning of May we got six chicks -- two of each breed -- Speckled Sussex, Gold Laced Wyandotte, and Black Silkie. Then last week we picked up what the woman told me were auracanas because I wanted the colored eggs. And then this week we got four Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. So here are some recent shots of our brood. I can't believe how much bigger the first set of girls are than our new babies!

First up, Bandit and Fly, our speckled sussex (I think Fly is top dog, plus she's the biggest chick by far.)
    [​IMG]

The funny thing about this pic of one of our silkies is that some people have trouble telling which end is which!
    [​IMG]

Here are Rosie and Speck, our Gold Laced Wyandottes. I suspect Speck's a roo, but guess I will have to wait a few more weeks to be sure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are Tinkerbelle (light) and FuzzyUzzy (darker), our "auracanas"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lastly, our Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. I can't wait to see how they all develop, whether splash, black or blue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm in the process of building a "tractor" or portable pen to move them around on the lawn. I designed it so that we'd be able to dock it onto the main coop's run to extend the space during the winter. Right now it's just the frame, and we're in the process of stapling on the hardware cloth with poultry net staples. On top we're going to put that corrugated plastic roofing material and hope we don't get a blizzard in the winter. It's 8ft x8ft, 2ft high

[​IMG]

2. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    I feel for you...having an A*&%% neighbor, I don't have one on either side for 15-20 acres BUT I one on the other side of the fence...seems I can't plant enough tree's!!! He sells eggs, my hubby told my neighbor that we are going to give ours away to put him out of business!! LOL LOLL

3. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Adorable babies! I have to say Fuzzy Uzzy is my FAVORITE. How cute! Looks like a stuffed chick my kids have from easter. Very very cute!

Your tractor looks nice, too. Great job!

And.. um.. Speck's comb and waddles DO look awfully red.

-Meghan

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

The funny thing about this pic of one of our silkies is that some people have trouble telling which end is which!

[​IMG]

5. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    What cuties!!! I think your tractor looks great too.

6. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Do you know what hatchery your wyandottes came from? I'm about to get one, its coming from privett.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by