Chick Pix from Meyers Brown Egger Assortment

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by imprimis, Apr 17, 2008.

1. imprimis

imprimis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    The Thumb, MI
    Well, I finally got them. They shipped Monday and they arrived Wednesday afternoon all 26 perfectly healthy. Meyers did a great job packing them up. Anyway, when I first opened them up I was a little disappointed as it looked like there was only 3 different breeds in the box (of course I was hoping for as many different breeds as possible). As my kids and I were looking at them in the temporary brooder at work, we kept finding more and more different breeds, yay!. I think I have id'ed a few of them like the Turkins, (duh! they were hard) the bright yellow White Rocks, and the RIR's. The black ones are difficult to figure out and there are yellow/off-white ones where I do not have a clue.

Heres the off-white one standing back in the middle next to the White Rock. It's quite similar looking as the WR, but has a greyish tint to the down, almost dirty looking in a way:
    [​IMG]

RIR's one in the front and brother/sister in the back. They have slight black markings (stripe) on their head and back:
    [​IMG]

How about this little guy. It's got a little dark markings on its feet. Also, notice the off-white guy standing next to the White Rock in the background:
    [​IMG]

This one has a lot of markings on its face, very cute. I'm thinking Jersey Giant? It has white tips on it's wing feathers:
    [​IMG]

These black ones have me stumped, all three look different to me:
    [​IMG]

And finally, these two didn't think I was watching them as they were smoochin:
    [​IMG]

Overall I am extremely happy with this assortment from Meyers. At a buck a bird, it can't be beat. No, I don't work for them, I just haven't ordered chicks by mail before and have usually bought only from the local TSC's. If your apprehensive to buy through the mail like I was, don't be......

Eric

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I love my meyer chicks they are great. Those look really healthy. You probably have jersey giant, black austrolope, Barred Rock, Domonique, or Marans.

Henry

3. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    It's hard to tell form the pics, but that grayish one could be a blue something or other.

Pic three is a barred rock

Pic four has the barred rock in front and an australorp in back of it.

Pic five, barred rock on left, australorp on right.

And that last one is really cute!! Enjoy your chickies!!

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Okay here are my guesses [​IMG] For Black Australorps this is what i see

Pic 2 black on the left is a black australorp

Pic 4 middle black on is a Black Australorp

Pic 5 looks like the same chick or another Black Australorp on the right and left in the back is another Australorp

Pic 6 left one is a Australorp

here are my two Black Australorps at 1 day old

Holly:
    [​IMG]

Molly:
    [​IMG]

You are gonna love that breed [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  5. imprimis

imprimis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    The Thumb, MI
    Hey! Some girl stole one of chicks! It really does look exactly like some of mine. So a Black Australorp is a really good layer, right? And it is smallish bird, body wise, like a sexlink? They have beautiful intricate markings for a bird that will grow up to be solid black. Thanks for the help, another mystery solved.....

Eric

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by