1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CHick play fighting- roo behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buck431397, Sep 3, 2009.

1. buck431397

buck431397 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Pilesgrove, NJ
    When chicks have their little play cockfights- is this an indication that they might be roosters?

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

not sure, i know that my hens can get pretty bossy too with the pecking order deal...so,

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I have some 6 weeks olds just able to tell roos from hens and the little pullets jump right in there and chest bump with the roos.

4. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    My four girls are between 16 and 19 weeks old now, and they are working out the "pecking order" thing, bigtime. . . Looks like roo behavior, but it isn't!

5. buck431397

buck431397 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Pilesgrove, NJ
    saw my duck try to jump in there the other day. he just strutted around and flapped his wings. so funny, so pitiful....

6. kidzmom5

kidzmom5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Marysville, WA
    Actually I do believe they do I have two young cocks and they play fight and thier feathers get up and they do it often. Its really funny but then at the same time I fear they are going to hurt one another but they are brothers that hatched at the same time. But they are always together. They sleep together and then they get into their fights. As for the my others they dont do that...

7. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I have an older hen who hatched one chick. The chick is now a twelve-week old rooster. He and his mom are at the bottom of the pecking order in the flock, so they still hang around with each other a lot. Occasionally I see them "play fighting". I figure she's just trying to teach him how to be a rooster. I have two other roos, buff rocks who are very genial, but they just ignore him so far.

8. LizzyJo

LizzyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Aptos CA
    Quote:Human boys do this too!

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is true, until they reach about 3 months, pullets are just as much into chick fights as cockerals........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by