Chick Play, or Young Rooster Behavior?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 5KajChicks, Mar 25, 2017.

1. 5KajChicks

5KajChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    Illinois
    (fingers grossed that you can view these videos)

These are my 3 EE chicks that were all purchased as females. Two are almost 5 weeks old, the other is almost 3 weeks old. Does this look like normal chick play, or possible rooster behavior? [​IMG]

My year-old chicks all played, bumped, jumped etc....but the one that did it most ended up being a rooster. Being brand new, I didn't recognize the early signs. But now that I know a bit more, I don't know if I'm seeing signs, or just being paranoid about it...[​IMG]

2. 5KajChicks

Apr 2, 2016
    Illinois
    Darn it! Videos will not attach. I will work on it...

3. 5KajChicks

Apr 2, 2016
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

The two biggest ones are defiantly cocks. And yes, it is normal behaviour for roosters. They're probably fighting for the pullet. [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I"m not seeing any signs of cockerels at this point. All baby animals mock fight, it's how they practice being grown ups and deciding who is boss of who.

Best thing would be to get comb shots of the ones in question, let us take a look at those and be sure.

And just to say, if they were males, they're too young to be fighting over a female. they're all still babies, not thinking of sex anytime soon [​IMG]

6. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

Yeah that's true. [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Looks like play fighting,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by