Chick Playpen

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jjhere, May 21, 2010.

1. jjhere

jjhere Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Smidge north of Seattle
    I am not a builder by any stretch of the imagination, but I built this to keep the girls entertained and outside during the day. They seem so bored when stuck in the brooder...

[​IMG]

Now, on to the coop construction!

2. drunkdog

drunkdog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    nice JJ thatll occupy them while you build the coop ....unless you keep watching them play all day [​IMG]

3. jjhere

jjhere Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Smidge north of Seattle
    LOL...does that mean I'm not the only one who does that?? [​IMG]

4. drunkdog

drunkdog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    absolutely I am guilty [​IMG]

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    you have inspired me to try and build one myself...my pullets need a little fresh air....thanks!

6. egzactly

egzactly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    We wanted to give our chicks more time outside, but didn't want to leave them unattended. We started eating our dinner alfresco sitting on the back lawn, so we could watch the chicks play. We called it "chicken TV". Chicken TV is lots of fun, but I love the playpen idea too. Great concept.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Still enjoy watching watching my big girls out and about. May the joy of watching your chickens never diminish! [​IMG]

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I thought I was the only one who went outside intending to get some work done but didn't because i got sucked into the chicken tv!

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Well done! Your chicks will go wild with happiness, out scratching on the grass.

I have three hens each with a chicks, and for now I have to keep them all separated because of the very real risk of hen fights. I have one tractor that I let the hens and their chicks take turns in. The other hens have to make to with sand runs, and when it's not their turn in the tractor, they pace back and forth in front of the door to their run, clucking in what sounds to me like an annoyed tone.

I'm building another tractor this week so I can have two hens with their chicks out on the grass. They love it so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by