1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Poem in Progress

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ruth, Jul 13, 2007.

1. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Hi Everyone - just got in from the rain from feeding chicks. Had a sort of poem come to mind. It's still in the works since my chicks are only 12 weeks old but I'm sure you can all relate to it. Here goes:

9 baby chicks @ 1.50 = $13.50
    4 books on raising baby chicks - $75
    1 chicken hutch for baby chicks - $150
    Building materials for chicken coop & run - $600
    Listenting to husband and son moan and groan about building chicken coop and run - 3 visits to therapist - $300
    10 25 lb bags of chicken feed - $90
    20 bags of shredded cheese, 10 heads of lettuce, a dozen cucumbers, 6 bags of sliced sandwich meats, boxes of raisens, loaves of bread, freshly diced vegatables and fruits, and other special foods and treats for chicks - $350
    Misc. meds and vitamins for one sick baby chick - $25
    Staying up all night to hand feed sick baby chick - another trip to therapist - $100
    Losing sleep because you get up every time you hear something outside and need to check on chicks - $2,000 in lost work productivity
    Visiting BYC Forum instead of working - Another $2,000 in lost work productivity
    Fighting with husband because you've had no sleep since getting baby chicks and he thinks baby chicks may have made you slightly crazy - several visits to therapist - $800
    20 weeks of time and energy spent feeding, caring for and cleaning up after chicks - $2,000
    Total costs of 9 baby chicks @ 20 weeks old - $8,503.50

Finding that first egg....PRICELESS

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] I think you can remove all those trips to the therapist......chickens are cheep therapy, remember? See how much $ they have saved you already?

[​IMG]

3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Hi BeckyLa - It's just meant for fun. I don't really have a therapist. That's why I got the chicks - because if I don't have a stess release I will be in therapy or jail. My husband I work together 24/7 from home in a very high-stress business. Going out to the chicken coop several times a day is saving our marriage.

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Oh, I thought it was for fun, I was funnin, too. I just like to look at how much they are saving me in therapy or marriage counceling or a divorce lawyer. [​IMG] I got chickens when my dh retired and it has definately helped me. And he has his own flock of EE's now that he plays with so I know they're good for him, too.

5. LuckysMom

LuckysMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    South Carolina
    I love the chick poem! [​IMG]

6. mamading

mamading Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2007
    Rhinelander, WI
    Funny about the therapy. Yesterday evening my husband and I had a fight, he went to the garage and went to the kitchen and cut up a banana and told my kids, "I'm gonna go talk to my chickens!"
    I felt so much better after that. They came to me when I walked in and jumped on my lap. The ones that wanted up but couldn't fit on my lap jumped on the roost behind me then jumped on my shoulders and settled in behind my neck in my hair. The big girls nestled in by my feet. So I told them all about my fight and that I just need attention and he doesn't understand but I'm glad that they do! LOL I know, I know, maybe I really should see a therapist!!

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Thanks Mamading for your post. Makes me feel better. I was starting to worry that people would get the wrong idea about my poem/American Express commerical. I don't have a therapist (and am not saying any of you do or that you're crazy) but everyone who knows me is starting to think I might need one so I calculated in the costs to therapist that would be involved if I went every time someone told me I was "crazy" over what I was doing for these chickens. My son said the other day "You spend more time cutting up food and feeding these chickens than you do us." (TRUE) My husband said the other day "You're spending a fortune on a $1 chick" (TRUE). Everyone who knows me knows I have three businesses to run and say "You're spending so much time on those chicks...lost productivy, etc" (TRUE) BUT...with three businesses to run, 5 grown children, a huge home, and 8 acres to maintain by myself (don't even ask about what the husband does - I don't know)...I NEED chickens (or therapist) to keep my sanity.

From reading the many posts on this site I know I'm not the only one who has gone a teensy bit overboard with their chicks. It's that knowledge that let's me know I'm not crazy or if I am, I'm in with a fine bunch of people.

8. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    Very Good! I liked it. I enjoy watching all of mine and seeing how they respond to my every move. I think they know the sound of my truck because they are all waiting eagerly. And don't worry everyone here has a chicken problem and we all understand! IT HAS BEEN 5 MINUTES SINCE I WAS AT THE COOP! Oh no, I have to get back out and check on my buddies! [​IMG]

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Yep, me too. Just had to log off and go try to get chicks in coop because our daily storm is brewing. Problem is I can't get them to get in coop, even with their favorite - cheese. I haven't handled them enough to be able to catch them. They seem to prefer riding out the storm sitting on the ground under their old pen instead of in their new high and dry coop. Maybe I should just take the old pens out so they don't have an option.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by