1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick poked a hole through the shell on day 15/16

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bhcarnes, Dec 29, 2016.

1. bhcarnes

bhcarnes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2016
    So I have six eggs going in my incubator. Last night one of the eggs moved and the chick poked a very small hole in the shell. I started lockdown on day 14 and the night of the 15th (morning of the 16th) day it happened. I think its still moving inside but it has been 12 hours and the small bit of membrane showing looks a bit dried out (humidity is still good in the incubator).

This is my first incubation and can't find any reference about what to do. Just sit it out and hope for the best? I know you're not supposed to help except in extreme cases. Is this such a case?

(For reference, temp has been steady at 99.5 - 100 with ~40% humidity until day 14 then I upped it. Hand turned about 5 - 6 times a day.)

2. cshma11

cshma11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois
    I've always read 65% humidity when they're hatching. Maybe increase the humidity? I don't know if you can safely moisten the membrane at all, like with a wet q tip or if that's a no-no

3. LoveInNature

LoveInNature Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2016
    Brisbane Australia
    Mine was around 70% humidity and I had 50% hatch rate.

Check your temp isn't too high. Make sure your thermometer reading is from egg height.

They can take 30h to hatch. At this stage it is still absorbing the yolk so do not intervene. It will then turn in the shell and take the top off the shell before getting out.

Patience is not easy to come by in your first hatching!

I had to intervene whith my first because it was shredding the membrane on an angle and made bars that she was unable to break through when they dried out.

Good luck and prepare the cigar [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. bhcarnes

Nov 19, 2016
    Thanks!

Temp seems OK. Tested the setup with multiple thermometers so I am reasonably certain that the temp is holding steady between 99.5 and 100.

I'm just going to sit back and keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully everything will turn out fine. I know at least two of the other eggs have chicks in them so worst case I should get at least a few chicks out of this first go around.

5. LoveInNature

Dec 12, 2016
    Brisbane Australia

That sounds a lot better. [​IMG][/IMG]

All the best with it

2 people like this.
  6. bhcarnes

Nov 19, 2016
    Woke up today with 5 new chicks. Looks like the last chick is just being a bit late but almost out of the shell. 100% hatch rate! Not bad for my first hatching on the first run of a $35 homemade incubator. Better get the brooder up and running!

Thanks again for your help!
    [​IMG]

7. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice, they are so tiny!

Did you do a thread on your incubator project?

Thanks

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

8. LoveInNature

Dec 12, 2016
    Brisbane Australia
    Congratulations. You have done really well and have had a fantastic result.

Sometimes it is just about faith when you have done everything right and a healthy dose of patience.

Enjoy!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by