1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Poo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bdikes2009, Apr 18, 2012.

1. bdikes2009

bdikes2009 New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    Oroville, Ca
    Hi all I have 4 baby chicks that are about 2 weeks old. I have been feeding them Medicated Chick feed for the last week, and I change their water about 3 times a day. One of my chicks is having "Diarrhea" I guess, her poo is all brown and runny. I am not sure if she is sick or just not liking the food. They all seem just as active and are eating a drinking regularly. Any thoughts. Thank you!!! Oh also I just got 4 more chicks can I put them in the same box if they are older than the ones I have?

2. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    My chicks do that also they have had that kind of poo since they the day we brought them home and they started eating medicated feed...they are 5 weeks old now and still some have poop like that it is getting better now that we are giving them chick grit...so my guess would be that it is the medicated that makes their poop like that.

3. StephanieH

StephanieH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    About ever 8-10 poops will be runny. It's their way to flush their system. So, it's hard to tell sometimes if it is just one chick with an issue or all of them being normal. Are you giving anything besides starter and water?

Two week difference isn't too much to put them together, but I'd probably keep them separate for a week or so to make sure the new ones aren't sick, and, in your case that the older ones aren't.

4. bdikes2009

bdikes2009 New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    Oroville, Ca
    I just purchased a vitamin bar but other that they are getting the medicated chick started and water...should I be giving them anything else at 2 weeks old?

5. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Some say to add a small amount to ACV (apple cider vinegar) to their water also. I never have and have happy healthy chickens.When they start eating anything solid besides their starter food they will need grit. Some buy it others give them sand to bath in and they will pick the small pebbles out of it for grit.

6. StephanieH

StephanieH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    I like to give them some short grass with the soil attached and some chopped veg and greens, with grit, of course. Seemed to firm up poops and I wanted them to get used to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by