chick poop has blood in it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by perfectly_polish, Jun 29, 2008.

1. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Yesterday when I was cleaning out the day olds brooder I noticed bloody spots where their poop was. Then today I woke up and a blue orp. and sultan were dead. They were find last night and this morning just dead. Could it be cocci? Should I change over to the medicated or is there something else I can give them?

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Just my opinion, but you might get a better response if you posted this in emergencies. Wish I could help, but I have no idea. I hope all turns out well.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Medicated feed wont help if they are at that stage. You need Sulmet or Corid to combat the cocci. Corid is basically concentrated Amprolium.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I have never heard of Cocci in a day old chick. These are day old, right? Were they hatched by a bird or incubator?

I would put them on medicated chick starter as a preventative. I would think what you are seeing is normal digestive system kicking into gear. If it continues or you see droopiness, then you may have an issue. I think the ones that passed are unrelated to the poop you are seeing. Early chick mortality can occur for many reasons. I think there is an entire thread about this stickied.

Jody

5. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:They were hatched in an incubator, yesterday they were 3 days, so not that old. I'll get some medicated chick starter and Sulmet just in case I need it.

6. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:Good idea, could a mod move this over to the emergency section? Thanks!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, Jody is right, not sure how a day old would get cocci. Are you sure the blood wasn't coming from a scraped foot or something? Look them over really well.

8. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:No scraped feet or anything. I'm pretty sure it's poop because there's a poop spot and blood around it. If it was a scrape there would be little blood spots everywhere.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Day old, meaning literally day old or "day old" meaning like 3-4 days old. If the poop is directly infiltrated with blood then it could be cocci, at this point, sulmet or amprol is all you can use. Under a few days old though, very unlikely they could catch cocci, display symptoms and die. They are small, but it takes a day or two for symptoms to show, and another day or two for them to die. It is fast, but not one day fast. Perhaps something else is amiss? Are they lethargic?

10. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:day old meaning 3-4 days, sorry for the confusion. The ones that died weren't lethargic, the sultan was fine and I woke up and she was dead the next morning, then I noticed my blue orp. not moving as much, laying down, and then in litterally a few minutes he was dead. I just don't want anything to happen to the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by