Chick Poop - No really, POOP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bridebeliever, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, do chickens REALLY poop this much?!?! Really?? Or is this like the human infant stage, eat, poop, sleep, repeat? Cause really, these chicks poop all the stinkin' time! I had them out on the wood floor today and I must've picked up 50 turds! (As they dropped them.) I have 9 chickies. And man do they poop!
    At least they are super cute! Here's an updated picture of them. I can't believe they have only been with us for a little over a week.
    [​IMG]

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Welcome to the wonderful poopy world of chickens! And sadly they don't outgrow it, either. [​IMG]

3. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Lol, yea, they really poop a lot. They even poop in their sleep or something because there is always poop on the shelf they sleep on *eye roll* (yes, I work hard to keep things clean). We have a running joke here, walk walk poop, walk walk poop lol.

I highly suggest not putting them on your hardwood floor unless you put something down to protect your floor that they won't slip on. I didn't put mine down on the floor when they were inside, but occasionally when I was holding them, well, let's just say some landed there if I couldn't catch it fast enough (yea, picture this, I'm holding a chicken, I can see it's going to poop, and I quickly put my hand under to save the carpet/linoleum, then I have to wash my hands with hot water and soap really thoroughly, nothing like fresh hot poop in your hand blech).

4. Bridebeliever

Yeah, I never really pictured myself as a catch-poop-in-hand kinda person. Turns out I am!

1 person likes this.
  5. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Lol, um, I never really did either, then I had a kid and got use to catching spit up/puke, him having an occasional accident on me, and just general icky crud lol

6. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    Haha haha the poop just gets bigger

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I love your little "pile of poop" in the subject heading. Is there an app for that? [​IMG]

8. Bridebeliever

No app, it's the character choices on my iPhone. Yes, Mr. Poopy is hilarious! [​IMG]

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh how cool! [​IMG]

10. DeansMill

DeansMill Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2014
    Near Albany, NY
    I caught some slimy poop that stunk so bad the other day from my one week old. But on the subject of poop, any guidance on proper poop? My babies had paste butt by day two when they went to a babysitter. She gave them grit to go with their chick starter. I have them back now and I see a couple with messy butts... what am I doing wrong and what do I do? Should I wash them or will that make them chilly?
    On another poop note, I hated chickens for years after an incident when I was nine years old. Visiting my uncle's farm, I heard a noise in the rafters. I looked up to see a chicken roosting above me. Suddenly, she laid an egg... or so my innocent childish mind thought. I learned the truth quickly and cried while my father laughed and pointed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by