Chick Poop Question, hee hee :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Aeropennchick, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    We are first time chick owners, and we got six three-day old chicks from our tractor supply- four brahma pullets and two unsexed buff orpingtons. The smaller orp initially had yellow loose stool, which changed to brown by the next day, but didn't seem to firm up. We changed all of the litter and the food and cleaned the heck out of everything, and now, at one week old, we are finally seeing only nice healthy poops in the cage.
    Anyone have any idea what that was about? I considered separating them on the third day, but my husband thought that if it was contagious, they would all aready have it by then.
    Just want to know for the future - thanks!!

~Also, I hope everyone will help me figure out if I have orp roos or pullets in a few months!

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Probably stress from the moving and change in environment. If all is well now, I'd attribute it to 'life happens'. Humans also have changes in poo from time to time which really doesn't indicate that anything is wrong. Only if it persisted would I be concerned.

3. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Thanks! Also, I found the infamous "poop chart" after a bit of digging, and I think I was being overly concerned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by