Chick poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by netty74, Aug 26, 2013.

1. netty74

netty74 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Conway , SC
    Hello !! I have 8, 2 week old chicks . They are doing well eating , drinking and singing . Sometimes their stools look very dark brown and sometimes they are normal color . Is the dark brown im seeing the cecal stage . Should I be concerned ??? I took a stool sample to the vets( i work for a vet ) office last week and the test showed no signs of coccida . maybe im being a little parnoid maybe not . This is my first batch of chicks , just want to make sure all is well . They are in a large plastic container with a 75 watt bulb .The temp is staying around 90 degrees . I clean out their brooder every 2 days , sometimes more if it is needed . ( I'm a freak about their enviroment being clean ) . They are currently in my living room . Thanks !!! Any help would be great !!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The look of "normal" poop varies considerably, and they will have cecal poops every 5-10 or so. As long as the chicks are acting fine and they don't have really runny poop for any length of time, and as long as it is not bloody I wouldn't worry.
    This site has some pictures of the range of normal chicken poop.
    http://pluckandfeather.com/chicken-poo-chart-graphic.html

3. netty74

netty74 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Conway , SC
    Thank you so much ! The chicks are doing very well !! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by