Chick pooping blood? need advice please

cluckers&quackers

Songster
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Vermont
I have chicks that are about 9 weeks old. I am finding droppings that look like blood. It looks like the whole dropping is blood, not like a dropping tinted with it. So it looks as though someone is literally pooping blood.

I have 20 or so chicks together so I dont know which one is doing it. I am not finding lots of these droppings looks more like maybe one bird.

Out of these birds there are 5 that I bought at tractor supply and the rest are eggs I bought locally from a reputable lady, and hatched myself.

A few days ago I found one of the bantams I bought at tractor supply dead, with no signs of anything, this a.m I found another one of the bantams from tractor supply dead, and bloody droppings in the pen. but no signs of blood on the chick.

In case it matters any: The chicks were raised in the house with newspaper for bedding until they feathered out, they are currently in a pen in the barn with sawdust/hay for bedding. They have not been outdoors yet.

I am new to raising my own chicks and this is the 1st time I have had to deal with blood stools, I am not sure what to do?

Sounds like Coccidiosis. You need to get them on Corid or Sulmet today. If you have already started losing chicks it may be too late to save the others but the sooner you start treatmment the better your chances.

cluckers&quackers :

Can I get that in places like tractor supply, or do I need to go to the vet?

Tractor Supply should have it or a feed store. Sulmet is a liquid and the treatment is 2 tablespoons per gallon for 3 days and then 1 tablespoon per gallon for 5 days (If I remember right - it's on the lable) Like NYREDS said get them on it right away!

Steve​

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the replies!!
smile.png
I am taking my son to a dentist appt. this afternoon and will run into tractor supply while I am out so I can start them on it today.

Is there anything else I should look for as far as signs/symptoms go? Currently everyone seems to be eating/drinking well, but not sure what else I should be watching for.

Thank you again
smile.png

Hi, thank you so much!! I will read through that and get myself a little more "educated" on this. I will get them on the medication today, and give everything a good scrubbing.

Thank you so much for the advice, I greatly appreciate the help
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom