Chick pooping Blood

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheTwoRoos, Dec 31, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I have 4 cochin chicks.

One I noticed a couple days back was actually pooping blood, along with his poop.I didn't think too much about. One,I was unsure whether it was really blood or not. But since I'm about 95% sure it is, I am giving them chick probiotics.

They eat all flock chicken feed, and do have quite a bit of scratch in their diet,and when I'm here on the weekends or breaks, they usually get to go outside.

anybody know what could be wrong.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old are they? Are any acting sick or sleepy? Blood in droppings can be a sign of coccidiosis, an intestinal disease. Other signs are hunched posture or standing puffed up, runny poops, ruffled feathers around neck, and no appetite. Corid (amprollium, ampromed, coxoid) is the usual treatment. Mix 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid into 1 gallon of water changed daily for 5 days. Most chickens will pass some instestinal shed which is orangey-red, on occasion. But frank blood or streaks of blood can be a sign of cocci. In older chickens blood may also be from enteritis or capillary worms.

3. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Their some where around the 2 1/1 3 months mark. They eat, a lot, and when their outside, they eat more, and play a lot. If they do happen to stay inside, they do lay down a bit. Only one that I can see poops blood, and she acts perfectly normal.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pictures of droppings are welcome. I would limit their scratch to an occasional treat. Their all flock feed should make up 90% of their diet. Probiotics are always good a couple of days a week, and plain brand name yogurt is a good source. Cocci can be more common when birds seldon get out to roam on clean grass.

5. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Well they usually don't get to go out too too much, and if they do, it' isn't in the grass.

6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    although I've been letting them free range more now that they are pretty well acquainted but I still keep em penned up occasionally

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by