Chick pooping, nothing coming out

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kat4011, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Kat4011

Kat4011 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    One of my leghorns had pasty butt and I cleared it up but I just saw her try and poop and it made that squirty noise but nothing came out. I re-checked her and nothing is in the way and her vent looks normal. She's running around and eating and drinking, just no poops! Can chicks fart or is she backed up from the inside? I've had them on regular water and organic starter feed. She's 3 days old.

I'm such a nervous parent!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I've read somewhere about using molasses as a laxative. Try searching molasses and see if you can come up with the serum. Good luck!

3. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Its so hot here right now that during the day, mine are sometimes just pooping mostly water. They make that squishy squirty sound and it's mostly, if not all water. I got concerned and gave them a little cooked rice but then read on this site that they sometimes do that in the heat. They are thriving, eating, drinking and running around like goofballs when the sun is not at its peak so I am not worrying anymore. Maybe this is what you are experiencing?

4. chickenbarn-gal

chickenbarn-gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    i used oat meal, which made the poop turn solid. [​IMG] Never had that problem again.

5. Kat4011

Kat4011 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    She pooped! It was a wet brown one, but she pooped! I never though I'd be so excited to see something poop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by