chick popsicles?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coffeemama, Sep 1, 2008.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Haha-got you to look [​IMG] Seriously though. I am going to be getting some hatching eggs sometime fairly soon, I hope. So sometime within 4-6 weeks I will have chicks hatching. How long will they have to stay inside? If I fully enclose part of my coop and give them a heat lamp, when can they be outside (in the coop-not outside, outside)? I have raised plenty of chicks, but never this time of year. I live in Oregon, so it's not frigid in the winter usually, but it's pretty cold. Anyone?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I raised my chicks this year in March. It snowed in april. They were outside from 1 week old on. If you can get temps right outside, you'll be fine.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I heard someone mention how they took feather dusters and hung them so their chicks could snuggle under the feathers. Perhaps you could try some around your outdoor brooder, so your chickies could have a special place to go when they felt chilled.

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Sounds good-it would be like a small 2x4 enclosed room in my coop. I can hang a heat light in the most protected side of it. I was hoping to have them inside until they grow out of the plastic tub brooder, and not have to have them in the large wood brooder in the house. Dh is so over chicks in the house for this year! [​IMG]

5. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I heard someone mention how they took feather dusters and hung them so their chicks could snuggle under the feathers. Perhaps you could try some around your outdoor brooder, so your chickies could have a special place to go when they felt chilled.

That is so cool!

6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    That is really cool! I may have to watch sales for feather dusters [​IMG]

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I think they just used the ones from the dollar store, which will probably work just fine except your chicks might start wishing that they too could be colored bright pink or blue or orange.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have thick hair and my babies LOVE to crawl up underneath it and go to sleep. Sometimes they are there for so long I forget they are there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by