chick positioned wrong in egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by duckin22, Mar 7, 2013.

1. duckin22

duckin22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    I had an egg in the incubator that had a saddle shaped air cell. I didnt really think the egg was developing because its a dark green egg and i couldnt see in when I tried to candle it. Well yesterday during lockdown it pipped. I kept a close watch on it and noticed after it first piped it didnt do much else. Today I helped it by slowly chipping away just the egg in a circle but left the membrane. I watched it for a while and it still seemed to really struggle and couldnt get through just the membrane. I broke the membrane and the chick got out. Well the chick was positioned all wrong. I dont really know how to explain. Its head was not at either end, but in the middle, it was like it was wrapped up side to side instead of up and down. Not sure if that makes sense to you. It was weird, well now that he is out he doesnt seem to be able to stand or walk. He just lays on his side and twitches! What should i do? It seems obvious he is dying. Should i just let nature takes its course or should i help it along its way so it doesnt suffer anymore? Or should I hold out hope he will be okay?

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
  3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
  4. duckin22

duckin22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thanks so much for the links!! After reading all that I took him out of the bator and cleaned him up and put in in a seperate brooder so I could watch him better. He can get to standing but is having a hard time and that gave me a better look at his legs and feet and Im pretty sure his toes are curled! I tried to put the little shoe things on I made but it is obviously a 2 person job so I will have to wait till hubby gets home from work! Im feeling much better about him! And he went poop after I put him in the brooder too! Poor thing to think i was thinking about putting him out of his misery! ugh thank goodness for this forum and the folks who contribute!!

5. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    No problem. [​IMG] Glad the little one is doing better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by